This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Saxa Vord - Red Star Board (Read 15,340 times)
Alec Trevett

Saxa Vord - Red Star Board
12.03.2007 at 14:01:23
Print Post  
Now that RAF Saxa Vord has closed, I wonder if anyone could cast any light on the whereabouts of the 'Red Star Board' which was inscribed with the names of all the controllers who controlled live QRA(I) intercepts against Warsaw pact aircraft from there (Happy Days!) ?

I would like to think that it might have been removed to a museum somewhere. Anyone got any clues?

Regards
Alec Trevett

IP Logged

Doug Robb(Guest)

Re: Saxa Vord - Red Star Board
Reply #1 - 10.04.2007 at 08:15:31
Print Post  
Mark Fixter passed on your question re the subject board. I would like to say that we had it as it would make a wonderful display and we did get a number of historic bits from Saxa Vord but sadly not this board. Best of luck in your search

Doug Robb
Museum Manager
RAF Air Defence Radar Museum

IP Logged

Ian Pluck(Guest)

Reply #2 - 12.04.2007 at 15:43:26
Print Post  
As the last FS Ops at Saxa before it closed, I know a lot of memorabilia was donated to the Unst museum.  I am not sure about the board you are talking about, but Sqn Ldr Phil Carpenter, as the last CO, would definitely know.  (Currently working at MOD I believe)

IP Logged

Alec Trevett

Re: Saxa Vord - Red Star Board - Found It!
Reply #3 - 30.09.2007 at 19:34:43
Print Post  
Thanks to info supplied via Andy Duffus (Thanks again Andy) I learnt this week  that the Red Star Board is indeed safe & sound in the Unst Heritage Centre, I hope soon to get some digital photographs - anyone wanting a copy please get in touch.

Alec -T

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Reply #4 - 30.09.2007 at 22:15:40
Print Post  
Alec

Yes, please - for the website - and anything else to which you might have access!

Best wishes

Jan

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Reply #5 - 11.08.2009 at 21:45:13
Print Post  
Alec Trevett wrote on 30.09.2007 at 19:34:43:
the Red Star Board is indeed safe & sound in the Unst Heritage Centre

Alec

I have been in touch with a number of people in the Shetlands, including Gordon Carle - who has been in touch with the museum on Unst; the Red Star Board is not there! Has anyone else any ideas?

Jan

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Re: Saxa Vord - Red Star Board (Found!)
Reply #6 - 18.10.2009 at 20:36:53
Print Post  
The Red Star Board has been found - in the old Medical Centre at SV, which is now used by Foords Chocolates! There has been a great deal of to-ing and fro-ing, with emails winging their way between Gordon Carle in Shetland and Alec and me 'down South'! To whet appetites, Gordon has sent a couple of photos, which are here (and, yes, that was me at the top of the list in the second photo!!):

Click photo to enlarge

IP Logged

Aaron Foord

Reply #7 - 22.02.2010 at 21:19:20
Print Post  
The Red Star Board will soon be going on display in a new exhibition at Foords Chocolates, Saxa Vord Resort along with pictures and other memorabelia very soon. If anyone who served at Saxa Vord would like to add any pictures etc please contact me through our website at www.foordschocolates.com, especially if you have a picture of yourself in uniform along with your dates of service so we can add you to our wall of fame.

IP Logged

Aaron Foord

Reply #8 - 07.04.2010 at 21:52:34
Print Post  
Further to the above posting, the new exhibition 'Memories of Saxa Vord' opens on the 24th of April in the former medical centre at the Saxa Vord Resort, formerly RAF Saxa Vord Domestic site. There is no entrance fee, and hopefully it will bring back memories to anyone who visits.

We are still needing photographs of anyone who served there, and would appreciate them mailed to us for our 'wall of fame'.

IP Logged

Gordon Carle

Reply #9 - 13.04.2010 at 00:05:25
Print Post  
I have just been up to Unst and seen the Red Star Board and can assure everyone that it is safe and well! I have just published a small section on my blog about the display of memorabilia in the old Station Medical Centre in Unst:-
http://ahistoryofrafsaxavord.blogspot.com/2010/04/memories-of-saxa-vord.html
Gordon

IP Logged

Steve Morson
Forum Member

Reply #10 - 06.08.2010 at 09:26:12
Print Post  
Great web site Gordon... I recommend it to all GD (FC) guys and girls (of all ranks) Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint