This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Death of Flt Lt John (Johnnie) Downs (Read 3,892 times)
Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Death of Flt Lt John (Johnnie) Downs
13.01.2013 at 20:14:17
Print Post  
I have this evening received the following announcement from John Meader:

Johnnie Downs (Flt Lt) died peacefully - aged 81 - on 7 January 2013, after 2 years of illness. Johnnie left the Royal Air Force at his 38/16 point to enter civilian employment. Well known for his skills at tennis, Johnnie always had a smile and readily helped others at all times. His overseas tours included Canada, Scotland, Cyprus and Aden. He leaves a wife, Edwina (Eddie), and daughters Sally and Suzey. He will be sadly missed by his family and friends, older members of the Branch and the Community of Old Coulsdon.

His funeral will be held at the Congregational Church, Old Coulsdon on 25 January at 1:30pm, followed by cremation at Worth (Surrey and Sussex crematorium), south of Reigate.

IP Logged

Mike Good

Re: Death of Flt Lt John (Johnnie) Downs
Reply #1 - 15.01.2013 at 10:44:25
Print Post  
Very sad to learn of John's passing.  He was a very understanding, kind and patient Chief Controller during my early days - and I can't recall ever seeing him without a smile on his face (probably as a direct result of observing my efforts down in Cabin 4!).  RIP

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Re: Death of Flt Lt John (Johnnie) Downs
Reply #2 - 20.01.2013 at 15:00:24
Print Post  
In addition to the information posted above, please note the following, which I have received from John Meader:
    Family flowers only, but donations in John's memory can be made to the RAF Benevolent Fund, c/o Rowland Brothers, Funeral Directors, The Parade, Old Coulsdon, Surrey CR5 1EH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint