This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Passing of Flight Lieutenant Des Farthing (Read 6,759 times)
Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

The Passing of Flight Lieutenant Des Farthing
06.06.2014 at 17:55:20
Print Post  
I am afraid that I have to report that the Association has this afternoon been contacted by Stephen Farthing, Des Farthing's son, who has told us that Des passed away last Saturday. While Des was not a current member of the Association, he will be well-remembered by members and non-members alike.

Stephen will be adding details of the funeral, etc, in this thread shortly.

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Re: The Passing of Flight Lieutenant Des Farthing
Reply #1 - 08.06.2014 at 10:25:02
Print Post  
Stephen Farthing has asked me to post this message:
    Flight Lieutenant Des (Penny) Farthing, who served in the RAF and - latterly - the Sultanate of Oman's Air Force, passed away at the ripe old age of 87 in Attleborough, Norfolk on the 31st of May. He joined the RAF as an airman in 1947, served in the Berlin Airlift, where he spent his 21st birthday rotating a radar aerial by hand during a snow storm. He was stationed at Rudloe Manor, Sopley, Neatishead, Trimmingham, Bawdsey Manor, Patrington and taught at the School of Fighter Control, West Drayton, in the late 1970s. He did stints abroad at Aden, Lusaka Zambia, 280 SU Cyprus, the Kuwait Liaison Team and after resigning his commission (retirement not being an option RAF policy would allow) went on to serve as a Sqn Ldr in the Omani Air Force.

He was a keen aero-modeller, won many competitions including one world championship and was elected a Fellow of the Society of Model Aircraft Engineers.

He was preceded by his wife, Olive, who he cared for during her ten year struggle with Alzheimer's disease. He is survived by sons Stephen, Nick and daughter Lindsay.

Should anyone wish to attend his funeral please contact me (his son, Stephen) by sending a personal message on this board. The family would love to hear anyone's memories of him so please post them on the board.

I also hope that Stephen will permit me to post the funeral details in the Members-only area but, until then, please contact Stephen.

IP Logged

Stuart McCullouch

Reply #2 - 09.06.2014 at 12:17:37
Print Post  
Stephen,

So sorry to hear that Des has passed on.  I remember his ready humour and great energy though we only served together briefly, at Patrington I think.  My wife Judy taught alongside Des at West Drayton and also sends her condolences.

Stuart McCullouch
Chair, FCA

IP Logged

Perry Jago

Reply #3 - 09.06.2014 at 12:42:07
Print Post  
Sad news.  Des was responsible for my becoming a Fighter Controller - he took me for my aptitude test in late 1976, by the end of which I was doing 90s and 180s.  Apparently, he discerned some degree of innate skill and convinced me that I didn't really want to be a Rockape.  I suppose one could argue that he therefore had quite a bit to answer for.  However, I shall always remember him as the first FC I ever met and a true gentleman.

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #4 - 10.06.2014 at 07:40:39
Print Post  
Des was one of the senior instructors at the School (West Drayton) when I arrived as a young instructor. He was a 'father figure' that one could turn to for advice. I'm not sure how we found out but he loved blue cheese and Helen would buy him great slabs of Irish Blue with our weekly shop...this was then kept in a communal fridge in the Mess....it wasn't long before this became Des's personal fridge as even treble wrapped it was powerful stuff. We're sad to hear that he has passed on.

Richard (& Helen) Jenner

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Reply #5 - 13.06.2014 at 08:27:48
Print Post  
In The Telegraph this morning at Announcements:
    Desmond Emmanuel (Penny), (Flt. Lt. RAF ret'd) died peacefully in Norfolk on 31st May 2014 following a long and courageous fight against cancer. Beloved widower of Olive and much loved father, grandfather and friend. He lived life with great energy, honesty and integrity and will be sadly missed. Funeral Service at Earlham Crematorium on Tuesday 24th June at 12 noon. Donations to Royal Marsden Cancer Charity may be sent c/o Andy Free Independent Family Funeral Director, (01953) 452455.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint