This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Gurkha VC hero denied Brit Citizenship (Read 3,945 times)
Admin 1

Gurkha VC hero denied Brit Citizenship
30.05.2007 at 15:08:22

Dear all,

Whilst I know this is not directly related to FC matters, the good folk on ARRSE, PPRUNE and RUM RATION have highlighted the despicable treatment meted out by the Immigration Service to a WW2 VC winner who, being a Gurkha, has been told he 'does not have sufficient links with the UK to be granted the right of abode' here.

There is a rapidly growing movement to highlight this appalling lack of loyalty to someone who very nearly gave his life in defence of our country, by writing to MPs etc.  More details can be found here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=277365

If this is a subject that you too feel strongly about, then you may like to sign up to the petition on the 10 Downing St Web site requesting the right to British Citizenship for all Gurkha servicemen, past and present.  Alternatively you may wish to add to the growing numbers of people contacting MPs directly.  No 10 web address below:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gurkhas-rights/

I have no political axe to grind on this matter, but I think Gurkha Pun is being treated extremely shabbily, especially when the Gurkha Museum also appears to have 'misappropriated' his original medal leaving him only with a miniature to wear.

Spotter

IP Logged

Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Re: Gurkha VC hero denied Brit Citizenship
Reply #1 - 01.06.2007 at 12:58:47

I feel very strongly about this, especially as I was involved briefly with the Gurkhas on board RFA Sir Geraint in the Falklands, and have signed the petition. I hope others do likewise.

Dave Lowry

IP Logged

Admin 1

Re: Gurkha VC hero denied Brit Citizenship
Reply #2 - 01.06.2007 at 21:09:08

Dave's petition signing must have had an effect!!  Liam Byrne has recently announced that WO Pun will now be granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK on his arrival.

Thank you to all who read this and signed the petition.

Spotter

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint