This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Minor catastrophe! - Panic Over! (Read 9,889 times)
Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Minor catastrophe! - Panic Over!
29.11.2007 at 21:40:32

Something seems to have gone awry with the main website, although the message board is still functioning. It appears as though the main server has failed somehow, but I'm looking into it.

Please be patient - and don't be surprised to find some strange messages if you get diverted to the PHP-based website.

Sorry

Jan

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Re: Minor catastrophe! - Panic Over!
Reply #1 - 30.11.2007 at 16:50:52

The catastrophe referred to in quotes is over, for the time being! No, I don't know what went wrong but, as a Mac user, it would be so good to be able to say that it was the Windows IIS Server that failed!! Smiley

Jan

Jan Cobb wrote on 29.11.2007 at 21:40:32:
Something seems to have gone awry with the main website, although the message board is still functioning. It appears as though the main server has failed somehow, but I'm looking into it.

Please be patient - and don't be surprised to find some strange messages if you get diverted to the PHP-based website.

Sorry

Jan

IP Logged

Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Reply #2 - 01.12.2007 at 11:01:49

Hi Jan

I see from your note that you are a MAC user. Since leaving some years ago I have been forced to be an MS user, working in the commercial world. As I am now about to renew my ancient system, and am more of a free agent, I am contemplating an iMAC. Has it caused you any significant problems interacting with the Bill Gates dominated world?

Rgds

Dave Lowry

PS. My last MAC was on my desk at Bentley Priory some years ago and I thought it was great.

PPS. Many thanks for all your efforts, they are greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Reply #3 - 01.12.2007 at 11:34:13

Hi Dave

Yes, I am indeed a Mac user (I currently have 5, ranging from a 10-year-old G3 that acts as my web and mail server, through a G4 iBook to a brand-new iMac 20" 2.4GHz). My job, too, requires me to use PCs (I am the Training and IT Manager at my local CAB) and I have 45 of them (+ 3 servers) to deal with. However, I have recently been able to integrate 8 Mac Minis into the network (all running Windows XP SP2 with the aid of Boot Camp from OSX10.5); they were chosen purely because they were the smallest machines for the price, meaning they could be easily hidden from clients' view!

I run Windows XP under Parallels on my iMac, with no apparent degradation at all (there is no longer a need to emulate the processor, as all Macs now use Intel). I would always recommend the Mac, especially as there is no longer any excuse to have a separate machine to run those pesky Windows-based applications at a reasonable speed!!

Watch this space. Micro$oft doesn't have quite the run of things that it used to have and the commercial world has not been particularly happy with the way that Vista has been introduced.

Oh! and the iMac just looks SO good!  Smiley

Best wishes

Jan (Queen Geek  Kiss)

IP Logged

Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Reply #4 - 02.12.2007 at 13:29:44

Hi Jan

Many thanks for the info.

It's the 20" iMac 2.4 GHz that I am considering for after Christmas with possibly a Macbook in addition. You are right, the iMac does look stylish. My current system, a 5 yrs old Packard Bell 2.0Ghz Celeron running XP with SP2, is creaking at the joints somewhat. I was an early adopter of XP moving from 98SE. It was a compatibility disaster with my older MS Programmes until SP2 came along.

Again, many thanks.

Dave lowry

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Reply #5 - 02.12.2007 at 18:48:07

Hi Dave

It's a good choice! The Apple On-line Store had mine delivered in 48 hours! I suggest you get an extra 2GB RAM via Crucial.com/uk/, as the iMac will come with a single 1GB module.

If you want any advice on Mac software or running Windows XP via Parallels or Boot Camp, contact me direct via email, rather than the board - it'll be faster!

Best wishes

Jan

IP Logged

Gil Stenson

Reply #6 - 03.12.2007 at 22:39:31

I also have converted back to iMac since leaving the RAF. I use NeoOffice a freeware version of Sun Systems Open Office tailored for Mac. It is totally interoperable with Windows and I have no problems with it.
I agree the imac is great looking and takes up less space than a lap top.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint