This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Where is Joan Hopkins? (Read 13,094 times)
Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Where is Joan Hopkins?
27.01.2008 at 23:20:06

I have received an email from Linda Fayers-Hallin, who says:
Quote:
Hi

I notice in Chapter 5 of the Association of Fighter Controllers, you mention Air Commodore Joan Hopkins, WRAF. I knew Joan when she ran the 1st East Kent Loan Air Ranger Unit in the early 1960s. Do you know if she is still alive, and if so, would you happen to be in contact with her? If so, would you be prepared to forward this e-mail with my contact details on and give her my kind regards.

Many thanks

Linda Fayers-Hallin

A similar post has been inserted in the members' area, but that also includes Linda's phone number and email address; if anyone has any details of Joan's whereabouts and current situation, please could s/he add them there (in the members' area)?

Thanks

Jan

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Re: Where is Joan Hopkins?
Reply #1 - 21.12.2008 at 11:22:37

Prompted by a few similar queries on Friday, at the Xmas Function, and supported by a message I had received from someone in Australia who knows Joan's younger brother (William), I took the bit between my teeth and looked up phone numbers for the area in which William lives. I found about half-a-dozen numbers that might have had relevance, but the first one I dialled was the correct one; I can report that Joan is well and getting on with lots of things, although she has had a mild stroke a little while ago. I now have a point of contact for Joan and I have passed on, through William, the love and best wishes of all those who remember her in the pivotal role she played in the development of the FC Branch and its facilities/operations. I dearly hope that she might be persuaded to come back to the fold on which she had so much influence in the 80s.

Best wishes to all

Jan

IP Logged

penman

Reply #2 - 07.06.2009 at 13:17:18

Roger Penman,John Figgures and Clive Silver are still  in touch and wish to be remembered to Joan.

IP Logged

Jan Foster

Reply #3 - 07.12.2009 at 16:47:37

Whilst not a fighter control officer (I was an ADO) I remember Joan when I was stationed at Bawdsey (I used to play badminton) and then again later at Bentley Priory.  She encouraged me to 'smarten myself up' and take my promotion exams.  Please send her my best wishes.

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Reply #4 - 07.12.2009 at 17:11:41

The existence of this message board and this particular thread has been passed to the aforementioned William, Joan's brother, with the request that he pass on the information to Joan. Hopefully she will read the above messages Smiley

Jan

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #5 - 07.12.2009 at 22:08:02

I, too, would like to be remembered to Joan. She was a considerable influence on me and my generation, both at Boulmer during the Seventies and Eighties, and subsequently at HQSTC. Not only an influence but, I like to think, a good friend, too. I hope she is well and send her my best wishes.

Mike

IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08.12.2009 at 10:30:52

Maggie and I  were so pleased to hear contact had been made with Joan.  I considered her the best operations executive I ever worked for and as OC Admin at Buchan she made Maggie's life both work wise and socially a most enjoyable experience.  As my OC Admin at Boulmer Joan was most supportive to both Maggie and me during a turbulent time in our lives.  We both thank her with all our hearts and wish her well for the future.

IP Logged

Linda Alkove

Reply #7 - 25.02.2010 at 01:29:48

I met AC Hopkins when I was stationed at Keflavik NAS, Iceland in 1988.  She had come to discuss the air defense system (what else).  I had the honor of spending an hour with her while we shared our common experiences.  I came away quite impressed, and had a feeling of kinship with this indomitable lady.  Over the years I have wondered about her, and if anyone has been in contact with her I would appreciate being remembered to her. 
Linda Alkove (formerly Capt. USAF and Requirements Officer at Keflavik in 1987-88)

IP Logged

Ken Ashton

Reply #8 - 03.06.2010 at 15:42:19

Sadly, AC Joan Hopkins passed away 24 May 2010. Please see appropriate web site for details.

[edit]The thread to which this refers is in the Public Forums:Classified Announcements. This thread is now locked.[/edit]

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint