This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Death of Ann Meader (Read 5,179 times)
John Downs
Ex Member

Death of Ann Meader
28.04.2008 at 09:35:08

ANN MEADER (WIFE OF WG. CDR. JOHN MEADER)

I’m sure that those who knew her will be saddened by the news that Ann died peacefully on 6th April after an extended period of illness. The funeral took place in Liss on 21st April.

We first met Ann and John when we moved in next door to them at Buchan in 1959. Edwina and I had only been married for a year and were approaching the birth of our first child with a certain amount of trepidation.  Ann by this time was a seasoned campaigner with two children, and, having been a nurse, helped us through the relative traumas of early parenthood with a great deal of willingness, expertise, and friendship.

Our paths crossed again in Cyprus and eventually Boulmer from where I retired at the 38/16 point.

We lost touch until the creation of the F.C.A and then discovered that we had been living only a few miles apart for some time – we had settled near Kenley and they lived for a time at Biggin Hill.

Over recent years we have seen as much of each other as possible, fitting in visits around retirement activities and parental and grand-parental duties, but Ann’s failing health has recently taken its toll. She was to have attended our golden wedding celebrations a few short weeks ago but couldn’t make it at the last minute.

Whenever we were with Ann and John there was always laughter bubbling around somewhere. She was kind, considerate and generous of spirit, and bore her many health problems with courage and fortitude until the last few days when she said that she was happy to give up the fight.

John has lost his childhood sweetheart, a loving wife, (they had been married for 51 years), who accompanied him to Buchan (twice), Cyprus (twice), Jordan, Norway, Singapore, Turkey, Germany, Boulmer and the MOD. Their daughters, Amanda, Sharon, and Melanie have lost a devoted mother and grand mother to their children. We have lost a dear and valued friend of many years. Ann will be sorely missed.

IP Logged

Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Re: Death of Ann Meader
Reply #1 - 15.05.2008 at 11:32:41

We remember Ann very well. Both she and John were good mentors to Elenore and myself during our time in Buchan during the late 70s and early 80s. Our thoughts are with John and family.

Dave & Elenore Lowry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint