This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic STCIC MOD(CUE) and GAF Auenhausen (Read 14,707 times)
Malcolm Barrass

STCIC MOD(CUE) and GAF Auenhausen
11.05.2008 at 20:33:40
Print Post  
Whilst not being a ex Fighter Controller, I am posting this in the hope that someone can assist me.  I am however, an ex RAFVR(T) Flt Lt.

I run the RAF history website 'Air of Authority' www.rafweb.org and also help people research their relatives' RAF careers.   The latest report I am producing is on a Flt Lt James Alfred Mears AFM and he is shown as being posted to the above two units.

Does anyone know the exact function of the former unit located in Main Building Whitehall or have any details on the history of the GAF unit?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance forthcoming.

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Re: STCIC MOD(CUE) and GAF Auenhausen
Reply #1 - 11.05.2008 at 22:41:40
Print Post  
Hi Malcolm,

Auenhausen was a Control & Reporting Centre originally in the British Sector of West Germany (ie constructed & manned by the Brits) and handed over to the GAF in the mid-50's when the GAF reformed. The function of the unit was to use radar to detect any airborne instrusions over the 'inner German border' and then to control the appropriate reaction - fighters then later on Surface to Air Missiles as well (not so great in the air policing role). The unit was upgraded technically under the NADGE programme.

Even though the unit became part of the GAF, the RAF retained a presence there until the early '90s with an RAF Air Defence Liasion Officers. The unit callsign was 'Backwash'. I operated from there on detachment from HQ RAFG several times between 1986 & 1989.

Hope this helps. Still thinking about STCIC.

Richard Jenner

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #2 - 11.05.2008 at 22:49:49
Print Post  
Richard Jenner wrote on 11.05.2008 at 22:41:40:
Hi Malcolm,

Auenhausen was a Control & Reporting Centre originally in the British Sector of West Germany (ie constructed & manned by the Brits) and handed over to the GAF in the mid-50's when the GAF reformed. The function of the unit was to use radar to detect any airborne instrusions over the 'inner German border' and then to control the appropriate reaction - fighters then later on Surface to Air Missiles as well (not so great in the air policing role). The unit was upgraded technically under the NADGE programme.

Even though the unit became part of the GAF, the RAF retained a presence there until the early '90s with an RAF Air Defence Liasion Officers. The unit callsign was 'Backwash'. I operated from there on detachment from HQ RAFG several times between 1986 & 1989.

Hope this helps. Still thinking about STCIC.

Richard Jenner

This is a link to a good description of the early Auenhausen: http://www.rafjever.org/pod220.htm

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #3 - 12.05.2008 at 08:37:18
Print Post  
Hi Malcolm,

Thinking a bit more about my reply above, it's likely that Auenhausen became a GAF unit nearer 1960 than the mid-50s. As an RAF unit it would have been designated as a signals unit (SU). Following the GAF taking over, there would still have been a significant RAF team to look after air policing (which remained a tri-partite responsibility until reunification). Sometime around the '80s the RAF Air Defence Team reduced to a single Air Defence Liaison Officer. What period are you researching?

STCIC could possibly mean STCICS - Strike Command Integrated Communications System - although I'm not very confident of this as I don't recall any MOD team. Possibly there was a team representing MOD for the introduction of the system but this is very much speculation. STCICS became operational in the early '70s.....does this time period fit in?

Richard Jenner

IP Logged

Malcolm Barrass

Reply #4 - 12.05.2008 at 20:08:31
Print Post  
Hi Richard

The period I'm interested in for STCIC is Mar 1974 to Sep 1975, so it could well be connected with the Comms System.

I found the info on Auenhausen on the Jever site, which indicates that it was 210 SU, so I think I've enough on that aspect now.

Many thanks

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #5 - 12.05.2008 at 22:35:05
Print Post  
Malcolm,
If STCIC is the UK STCICS, it was a very advanced HF radio system used only by the RAF that allowed units across the country access to some very powerful transmitters on an early form of time access system. I was at RAF Buchan in the late '70s when STCICS became operational. Prior to STCICS we'd had our own HF transmitters that had allowed us to talk to HF equipped aircraft - Victor tankers for example - at ranges well beyond VHF. When STCICS was introduced, we could select much bigger and more powerful centralised transmitters & receivers - the only downside was that we had to share them with other users. The system could retune very quickly from one user to another. The system has only recently been replaced.

Try UK STCICS in a search engine for more.

Richard

IP Logged

malcolm barrass

Reply #6 - 17.05.2008 at 14:35:44
Print Post  
Hi  Richard

The more I look into this the more I think the STCIC I'm interested in is an Intelligence Centre rather than the comms system.

Thanks for your help

IP Logged

tony traverse

Reply #7 - 20.05.2008 at 20:03:45
Print Post  
malcolm, you are getting warm! malcolm little (junior) last heard of in malvern and now retired could perhaps fill you in !
regards from an old codger. t . t.

IP Logged

malcolm barrass

Reply #8 - 26.05.2008 at 09:26:36
Print Post  
Thanks Tony

IP Logged

Victor Harrison

Reply #9 - 09.11.2008 at 19:19:03
Print Post  
Hi Malcolm, STCIC was set up in 1967 underneath the MOD. I was one of the first to be posted there. The title STCIC was confidential, but you are correct it was intelligence and as far as the rest of the world was concerned, it never existed. We were the intelligence centre for top secret radar, (FOBS) and set up the first space intelligence centre. We also used the first secure IBM 1900 computer to record all space shots and intelligence.
Hope this is helpful.
Vic  

IP Logged

John Peeke-Vout

Reply #10 - 15.06.2009 at 23:33:40
Print Post  
I work in the STCIC at MOD from 1970 through 1975. Yes, it was a top Secret entity - I think that IBM 1900 mentioned was an ICL 1900. We also had DEC PDPs. The work performed was very confidential. I was a Programmer/Analyst and Cryptographic officer.

IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 16.06.2009 at 09:56:36
Print Post  
Malcolm Hi, On a different tack.  I remember listening to the World Cup final in the commcen at RAF Changi in company with a Flt Lt Mears.  Could this be the same chap you are reporting on?  Tony (PLEZ) Pleasant

IP Logged

Admin 2
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 20.02.2010 at 12:20:29
Print Post  
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Margaret Triplow

Reply #13 - 08.03.2011 at 15:57:40
Print Post  
Quote:
Malcolm Hi, On a different tack.  I remember listening to the World Cup final in the commcen at RAF Changi in company with a Flt Lt Mears.  Could this be the same chap you are reporting on?  Tony (PLEZ) Pleasant

Hi Tony Pleasant

This was my father who died 6 years ago. I was in Changi at the time. Trying to find out why he was awarded the AFM in the 60s. Does any one know?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint