This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) Lost Cartoon (Read 27,192 times)
Keith (Alfie) Bass

Lost Cartoon
23.05.2008 at 21:39:46
Print Post  
Hi  I hope my name (Alfie Bass) will ring a bell with some of you; I was in post at the School of Fighter Control from 1972 to 1982. In the first years at RAF Bawdsey, I painted a cartoon called Bawdsey Hare Hops, which was immediately purloined by Group Captain Rhodes to hang above his desk; he had curtains installed to cover it so that when he was taking charges the accused would not be distracted from his words of admonishment. When Gp Capt Rhodes left Bawdsey, he wrote to me to say that he would be taking the cartoon with him; shortly after that, I heard that he had died in an accident in the Far East. The cartoon disappeared without trace. I have no record of it, but I know that a black and white print was used in a publication called the C&R Information Bulletin in the 70’s; if any one out there by chance has a copy, I would be very grateful to hear from you.

IP Logged

Ray Dillon

Re: Lost Cartoon
Reply #1 - 25.05.2008 at 17:07:11
Print Post  
If this is the cartoon I am thinking of, it was on the wall of the entrance hall at Troodos. An engineer had a roaring trade of making photographic copies of it, and selling as souvenirs.
When Troodos was re-built, the print disappeared, just before the close, much to the upset of the then "Boss". A certain ASOp Flt Sgt was under suspicion, but he fervently denied any wrong doing.

IP Logged

Keith (Alfie) Bass

Reply #2 - 26.05.2008 at 07:45:51
Print Post  
“Interesting” that’s one more that has disappeared, I painted several of these and left them at the units I served at, the problem is I never kept a copy of any of them, I did some smaller ones for individuals and friends one I remember was for Pat Gallanders and the last one I left at RAF Buchan, the others where at West Drayton and 280SU they measured about 3.5 x 2.5 feet or more and were framed, it would be nice to know if any of them have survived the years the only picture I have is of some of the individual characters.

IP Logged

Nigel Woodger

Reply #3 - 11.06.2008 at 16:11:52
Print Post  
I'm sure I saw one of them Alfie at the Museum at RAF Neatishead three or four years ago. Might be worth checking with them.

http://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/

The RAF Air Defence Radar Museum
Royal Air Force Neatishead
Near Horning
Norwich
Norfolk
NR12 8YB

Telephone Number  +44 (0) 1692 631485

Email curator@radarmuseum.co.uk

IP Logged

Keith(alfie)Bass

Reply #4 - 11.06.2008 at 18:00:55
Print Post  
Thanks Nigel,
I have been planning to visit there, so I may find out then.

IP Logged

Nigel Woodger

Reply #5 - 11.06.2008 at 19:41:10
Print Post  
Well worth the visit, just to look at the old photo's in the cafe. The Ops Room looks like they just walked out a few minutes earlier.

IP Logged

Nigel Woodger

Reply #6 - 12.06.2008 at 09:39:49
Print Post  
Alfie keep in touch:

I am the Webmaster at:

www.servedinforces.co.uk

IP Logged

Chris Pentith

Reply #7 - 13.06.2008 at 14:41:57
Print Post  
I was that certain FS, it was taken by a crew from Akrotiri, I was accused, or even my word doubted, when the Team leader from Akrotiri heard of a possible misscarrige of justice, it was returned to the then CO SQN LDR Taff Curtis, he did offer the picture to me in a way of recompense, I did not accept the picture, as I had already purchased a copy from the SGTS mess manager a chef I believe.

Further Information may be gotten from a WO Keith Appleyard or Taff himself.
I remember you Alfie  the copy of the print in colour, shows a rabbit polishing the corridor with that bumper !! I think that wqas me !! I always seemed to be selected for the task. Hope you are well
CJP

IP Logged

Keith (Alfie) Bass

Reply #8 - 13.06.2008 at 20:07:04
Print Post  
Hello Old Friend
I had heard this story before but with out with out any characterisation, I am glad you resoled the situation and it is nice to hear the truth. If you remember we flue out to Cyprus together in Oct 1969, I hear you stayed in the RAF to the end(55), knowing you then I wouldn’t have put money on it. Wink Have you still got the print? I unfortunately haven’t got a copy of any of the Hare Cartoons. Yes I am quite well thanks hope that you’re the same.
Alf.

IP Logged

Taff Curtis

Reply #9 - 14.06.2008 at 16:32:48
Print Post  
Alfie,

I can vaguely remember what CP is on about.  The picture did go missing much to my annoyance, however, it was recovered.  I can not remember precisely what happened to it but if my memory serves me correctly it went off to RAF Quedeley (now closed I believe), there is  a possibility it went to the ATC Control Room at Akrotiri as we set up a small  Fighter Control section for the future APCs.  I have spoken to one of the officers who was at 280SU and he is going to make enquiries with Akrotiri. 

CP can you buzz me on 01603 891640.  Cheers

IP Logged

Cpentith

Reply #10 - 23.06.2008 at 09:17:13
Print Post  
Alfie please contact me at cpentith@banff-buchan.ac.uk, some thing to your advantage, may be gained from anon I can act as a go between.
Chris

IP Logged

Wilks

Reply #11 - 27.06.2008 at 09:25:30
Print Post  
Somethinks smells in the port of Peterhead methinks - and it's not the fish Penters!

IP Logged

keith(alf)Bass

Reply #12 - 18.08.2008 at 23:53:41
Print Post  
Well not as mysterious has it first appeared but the upshot of it was partly successful with the kindness of Chrises contact I have acquired copies of the two original cartoons they are the very first ones I did, the story behind them was that when Fighter command merged in to No.11gp Strike Command they refurbished the Officers Coffee Room and requested that Units should send cartoons etc., to fill the walls, I was at Patrington (1968) at the time and came up with the Hares one day whilst travelling to Hull with Les McIver I said to him look at all those ‘Aires’ over there in the fields Les being very correct with is grammar corrected me with they are ‘HARES’ with an ‘H’ and so the Royal Hare Force was born, and I began my long misemployed career in the Air Force. I hope that the Cartoons are still out there some place and are enjoyed by people.
But if there are any more prints or copies out there please let me know.

IP Logged

Keith(Alf)Bass

Reply #13 - 18.04.2009 at 00:39:57
Print Post  
Hi again thanks to all who have contributed to my search, have been trying to remember the last cartoon I painted and Jan Cobb gave me a name the other day, AVM Ken Hayr AOC 11 Group in 1983 he was due to visit Buchan, with a name like Hayr I could couldn’t help but paint a cartoon to give to him the problem is that I have no idea if he ever received it, if there is anyone who out there who was at Buchan in 1983 and remembers the presentation would you let me know.

IP Logged

Graham Croft

Reply #14 - 16.12.2009 at 22:21:19
Print Post  
I remember  seeing a large coloured cartoon similar to the one you describe when I was OC 3Flt. Ops at West Drayton 1978-1982. However, I also remember that you were there at the same time sitting in your windowless box in the L1, so I suspect that you are seeking a different cartoon, but you never know.
Give my regards to your brother (Howard) when you next see him [he was a Corporal on my Flight]

IP Logged

Keith(Alf)Bass

Reply #15 - 14.01.2010 at 11:28:36
Print Post  
Hi Graham. I painted several of these cartoon, some were for for individuals and the others for units, there was a large cartoon in the entrance to the officers mess at West Drayton, I left one at Buchan, one 280SU and the Bawdsey one, the only one that I know the whereabouts of is the one I painted for Pat Gallanders which she still has, and a copy of it is at the RAF Radar Museum Neatishead, unfortunately I never kept any photos of them so I have no records. Thanks for your input.

IP Logged

Michael Shields

Reply #16 - 14.01.2010 at 11:54:06
Print Post  
Alfie
There certainly was a copy of your cartoon at HQ11Gp in the mid eighties.  Probably the one you sent from Buchan - it was hung in the ADGE corridor but then moved - not sure how funny the AOC (AVM Hayr) found it!

IP Logged

Terry Bunce

Reply #17 - 14.03.2011 at 12:41:02
Print Post  
Alfie. I still have the painting you did for me when I was a Cpl on the School at Bawdsey c1972. It is a bit tattered round the edges now. So I think I am going to donate it for display at the Museum of RADAR at Bawdsey.

IP Logged

Alfie Bass

Reply #18 - 18.03.2011 at 11:34:49
Print Post  
Hi Terry nice to hear from you, I must have painted some 300, or more over my time in the RAF I would be very pleased if you gave it to Bawdsey.I have very few photos of the pictures I painted , so if you could get a digital photo and send it to me  at kjbass47 [AT] hotmail [dot] com I would be very grateful.
All the best to you, and thanks for getting in touch.

IP Logged

Doug Robb

Reply #19 - 17.05.2011 at 09:15:53
Print Post  
Alfie

Sorry to contact you this way, but I have tried everything else. The cartoons you so generously provided to the Museum have been well received and I need to print some more. Shock, Horror !! the CD has been damaged and I need another copy if possible. Send to the usual address although I will be gone, my successor Chris will certainly appreciate them.  Thanks (and farewell) Doug

IP Logged

Chris Morshead

Reply #20 - 25.05.2011 at 14:27:12
Print Post  
Hi Alfie,

Just received the CD and the “Hare Hops” laminated pics in the post.  Many thanks for that!  They are brilliant and I have filed the CD.  Hope all is well.

Regards,

Chris

Manager& Curator, RAF ADRM

IP Logged

Jon

Reply #21 - 17.06.2011 at 23:43:40
Print Post  
I have one of the photo prints (bought when I was serving at Troodos) on my living room wall right now!

IP Logged

Alfie

Reply #22 - 20.06.2011 at 21:06:46
Print Post  
Hi Jon. I’m pleased to hear that there is still a copy of that cartoon out there and that some one still enjoys it, I have heard that there where copies made but I did not know that they where sold perhaps I should have got royalties (joke). Anyway I would settle for a Photograph of a copy being has I haven’t got any record of the cartoon, if it is possible for you to get one and send it to me at kjbass47 [AT] hotmail [DOT] com I would be grateful.

IP Logged

Hilary A Whiteway
Committee

Committee Chair

Reply #23 - 14.12.2023 at 16:56:41
Print Post  
Alfie, I don't know if you're still out there but Pat Gallanders died last September and donated her "Alfie Bass Cartoon" to the Air Defence Radar Museum so it should be in company with the others.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint