This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ah! the officers rest room. (Read 3,377 times)
Nigel Woodger

Ah! the officers rest room.
11.06.2008 at 09:24:06
Print Post  
Good Morning Sir's and Ma'am's, I was pleasantly surprised to find you have managed to make a web site and a forum no less. Grin

Maybe the training we gave you when our old trade went computerised paid off after all. Wink

I will add the following tale because of that previous remark.

True Tale:
I will not "name and shame" the Chief Controller who this refers to.

During the 70's I was a Corporal at RAF Neatishead, during the period when we had a large display screen in the Operations room that was lit by three huge projectors above the CC's position.

This particular day I was the Chief Controllers Assistant, there was little traffic on the screen over the North Sea, infact there was only two aircraft showing just off the coast of Norway. Both these tracks were civil airlines flying on a SW course, and were of course showing as green tracks. The Chief Controller was at this time in conversation with another officer on the "bridge". The screen suddenly changed and both tracks turned red as the Display Controller had changed the screen to IFF/SIF mode.
The CC happened to glance at the screen and yelled to me to scramble the IAF, my "But,Sir" was quickly cut off with "DO IT". I therefore scrambled the IAF. Once confirmed that they were airbourne, I turned to the CC and said," Aircraft airbourne,Sir, may I now ask the reason?"
"For those to Hostiles off course" he replied.
"Those hostiles are civvies" said I, hitting the buttons to change the screen back into normal mode.
I daren't repeat on here what his next remarks were. Grin

IP Logged

Keith (alfie) Bass

Re: Ah! the officers rest room.
Reply #1 - 11.06.2008 at 18:37:20
Print Post  
I never knew you to spare any ones blushes you must have mellowed with age. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint