This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic WARZONE, Channel 5, 2100hrs starting Monday 5 Jan 09 (Read 38,872 times)
Nick Loveday

WARZONE, Channel 5, 2100hrs starting Monday 5 Jan 09
02.01.2009 at 10:17:58
Print Post  
The following may be of interest to the RAF community....

WARZONE - an 8-part observational documentary series about life on Kandahar Airbase starts on Channel Five on Monday January 5th at 9pm.

Granada Productions worked closely with the RAF to produce the series - their film crew spent 10 weeks in KAF following the lives and work of soldiers, pilots and forces personnel of all ranks.

The Series highlights the activities of the Joint Force Harrier Detachment and covers the arrival of a new squadron from the RAF Regiment to guard the 10 square mile base and the surrounding 400 mile area. 

WARZONE tells the story of a community in the middle of a desert and the complex logistics of running the gateway to the war in Afghanistan. With fast food outlets like Pizza Hut and Burger King, three canteens serving 10,000 troops and 4000 civilians, an ice hockey rink, football pitches, three state of the art gyms, two massage parlours, and even a disco run by the Dutch army, the series focuses on the RAF as well as reflecting the huge support network behind the troops serving on the frontline.

The Aerospace Battle Management Branch and TG12 are not showcased in the documentary but I thought it may be of interest to members of the Assoc.

GTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

Nick Loveday

WARZONE 12 Jan Channel 5 at 2100
Reply #1 - 09.01.2009 at 11:25:03
Print Post  
WARZONE - is an 8-part observational documentary series about life on Kandahar Airbase.

This Mondays episode (episode 2) gives an insight into two of the most popular attractions on the base – market day and meal times.  LAC Nathan Choules and his fellow gunners from the RAF Regiment prepare for six months on the front line and Welfare Clerk SAC Kate Aziz visits the fire and rescue team at Camp Bastion.
It’s Saturday in Kandahar which means the market comes to town. As Afghan traders descend on the base, Air Commodore Bob Judson reflects on what the bazaar means to the troops. “This is the closest they will come to real locals,” he says. “It’s one of the highlights.” The stallholders sell everything from tourist trinkets to high-quality textiles, and Air Cdre Judson is ready to do some bartering.  He thinks he’s got a bargain but his interpreter knows otherwise. The interpreter wears a disguise to protect his identity from the Taliban. “If they know I am working for NATO, of course they will kill me”.  
Gunner LAC Nathan Choules decides on some retail therapy too so he heads to the boardwalk area of the base where there are several superstores selling luxury items such as DVDs, laptops, trainers and even bikes. He also snaps up gifts to send to his mother and little sister and holds back the emotion at the mention of home.
The Regiment Squadron undergoes 10 days of gruelling training to acclimatise to the harsh conditions – 40 degree heat and plenty of dust. They practice with the general purpose machine guns, hand grenades and the 50 cal guns. “You get disciplined, you get fit and you get paid for doing all of it,” enthuses Nathan, “I’d even recommend it to my own mother”.
“If you have to use them, you’re in the shit, basically,” says Nathan as he examines a knife. “This is the real deal now.”
The one thing the troops can look forward to after a hard day’s training is a hot meal. For Nathan’s unit, this means enjoying some real home comforts offered up by the British canteen. As well as full English breakfasts and Sunday roasts, there are pies, kebabs and curries to be had. All this can be doused with quantities of brown sauce and washed down with pots of tea. In just a month, the troops get through as much as 230 tons of meat and fish; 350 tons of cheese and 500,000 eggs. “The old saying that an army marches on its stomach is very true,” remarks Air Cdre Judson.
Welfare clerk, Kate Aziz heads out to Camp Bastion to check that the fire and rescue brigade for whom she’s responsible are getting enough rest and relaxation time. The fire crew is part of the immediate response team and has to rescue soldiers who become trapped inside damaged vehicles on the front line, as well as ensuring the safety of planes and helicopters landing in Bastion. The trip away from Kandahar brings the reality of the war home to Kate.

GTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

Nick Loveday

Re: WARZONE
Reply #2 - 21.01.2009 at 20:32:54
Print Post  
Channel 5 has opted to re-schedule Warzone from its 2100 Monday slot to an alternative later in the year.  We understand the reasons are connected with maximising viewing figures via an alternative slot for the powerful series on life on the frontline at Kandahar. 

The three episodes (of eight) seen so far have resulted in a doubling of the views on the RAF internet front page and quadrupling of views on the RAF Careers web site front page; the postponement to a future date of  the series should give us another chance to achieve this level of interest from the public.  We shall keep you posted!

GTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

Mike Good

Re: WARZONE, Channel 5, 2100hrs starting Monday 5 Jan 09
Reply #3 - 22.01.2009 at 10:26:52
Print Post  
Gripping stuff! - I may join!

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Reply #4 - 22.01.2009 at 10:36:13
Print Post  
Mike Good wrote on 22.01.2009 at 10:26:52:
Gripping stuff! - I may join!

There, you see, Nick - PR does work! Wink

J

IP Logged

sophie

Reply #5 - 26.01.2009 at 20:58:05
Print Post  
MY Fiancé's in that series; I wish it was on now, it would really help Sad Sad

IP Logged

T T

Reply #6 - 31.01.2009 at 10:40:49
Print Post  
My husband is in the Army (Infantry) and this programme made me laugh so much !! When I think what my husband is going through in Afghanistan right now and what he went through in Iraq, twice,  the RAF look like they have it easy out there !! Not surprised it's been taken off air, didn't exactly show the RAF Regiment in a good light. I don't expect people will be happy at what I have to say but hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Reply #7 - 04.02.2009 at 12:16:44
Print Post  
Nick

It seems as though the info you placed above has a wider audience! See this link to another forum at DigitalSpy!

Smiley

Jan

IP Logged

Spotter
Forum Member

Reply #8 - 04.02.2009 at 14:52:52
Print Post  
Don't expect to see too much of the RAF Regt in action when the series comes back - according to one report in the press yesterday the film crew couldn't get insurance after the first 2 times they went out!

As ever, those 'in the know' (including wives etc) examine such stuff in minute detail.  However, outsiders see things a little differently.  Remember, the RAF ad based on working in a supermarket, and which was roundly condemned by all and sundry in the Service, saw the biggest jump in recruiting enquiries - it just appealed to a different aspect of service.

IP Logged

steve erridge

Re: WARZONE, Channel 5
Reply #9 - 12.11.2009 at 23:19:29
Print Post  
I would like to say a special thank you to all our troops in Afghanistan. I know it's hard to be parted from the ones you love.and how your loved worry about you at this time.my brother was injurered in northern ireland.so i know it is hard for those that are here worrying about you.you will be owed a great debt by country for the job you do.once again a big thank you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint