This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wanting to do this job - Question (Read 2,615 times)
Mark Henderson

Wanting to do this job - Question
15.08.2009 at 00:44:38
Print Post  
Hi everyone,

I just want to drop a quick question as this seems like the place to do it!

Quickly, a little bit about myself - I am 20 (going 21 in about 3 weeks) I have just left Northumbria Police (its a long story) and my qualifications include 5+ GCSEs A-C and 3 A Levels (average...ish)

I really want to become a Fighter Controller (or is it now PC to say Aerospace Battle Manager?).  This is my main goal however, I feel I may be lacking just a little in the leadership area to go for commision at this point in time.

I am wondering if I was to join the RAF as an NCO Aerospace Systems operator (which I have been led to believe is the junior version of the battle manager, please correct me if I am mistaken) would I be able to get a few years experience under my belt and then later apply for my commission and hopefully be successful or will opting to go the NCO route count against me if I were to later attempt my commission.

I hope this all makes sense, I will clarify anything if need be!  But in short I guess I'm asking if becoming an NCO and doing that job for a few years will hinder me in applying for officer later on down the line.

Thanks for your time!

Mark

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Re: Wanting to do this job - Question
Reply #1 - 15.08.2009 at 07:20:07
Print Post  
Quote:
I just want to drop a quick question as this seems like the place to do it!

Dear Mark

While I do not wish to prevent discussion here about the pros and cons of progressing through a non-commissioned route first, you might like to have a look at a thread on another site: The Student Room's 'Ask An ABM'. I hope that helps you with your decision but, by all means, continue here with any further questions as well.

Jan

IP Logged

Mark Henderson

Re: Wanting to do this job - Question
Reply #2 - 15.08.2009 at 11:04:55
Print Post  
Hey,

Thank you very much! I'll go and have a look at that, if I have anymore questions after reading it I'll ask here for a more in depth answer.

Thanks for taking the time to reply its appreciated!

Mark

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint