This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Trying to contact Stu Hunter (Read 10,142 times)
Grant Grafton

Trying to contact Stu Hunter
19.08.2009 at 22:51:44
Print Post  
Does anyone have contact with Stu Hunter?  I believe he joined the branch from the Royal Engineers at the beginning of the '80's.  He was certainly in the Falklands during 1983.  Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Grant Grafton

IP Logged

Kath hamper

Re: Trying to contact Stu Hunter
Reply #1 - 02.10.2009 at 23:35:43
Print Post  
Stu is down near Taunton, at the last count, doing fine last Christmastime... i think I have his address somewhere if you want to give me a shout.

IP Logged

Stuart Hunter

Reply #2 - 22.12.2009 at 16:54:40
Print Post  
Hello Grant!!
Email address as above (Edited:
logged-in members may click on the button below
) and tel no 01460281469.
Might interest you to know that I'm out skittling with one NCP Loxton this evening!!.

Look fwd to hearing from you.
Stu

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Reply #3 - 22.12.2009 at 19:07:58
Print Post  
Hello Stu

Now that you know where we are, isn't it time you joined the Association? Application form on the main web site here.

Merry Christmas

Jan

IP Logged

Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Reply #4 - 22.12.2009 at 19:58:00
Print Post  
Hi Stu

Was it you with us in the Falklands in 82, S600 Det? I was with the radar on the RFA (Sir Geraint), and working my passage on the Bridge, bringing the radar down whilst you were ahead liaising with the 'Brown Jobs'. It was very sensible in view of your previous life with the 'Pongos' and mine with the 'Fish-Heads'. I seem to remember trying to borrow your 'liberated' cross-country motorbike when you visited us on Canopus Hill but you wouldn't let me as you were worried I would 'snaffle' it. Very sensible as that was my plan.

I agree with Jan - join the FCA.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Rgds

Dave Lowry

IP Logged

Stuart Hunter

Reply #5 - 25.12.2009 at 02:54:25
Print Post  
Dave!!,
Good to hear from you. Yes, 'twas I who went down to Stanley with the Plessey S600 Convoy after ages of waiting to get the system down there. I remember much testing of the system at Wattisham during summer '82, with expectations of getting it into theatre before Christmas, but usual delays occurred and I recall arriving on NY eve on Canopus Hill on Stanley airfield with just a T95 operating and the troops living in tents or 20' ISO containers (twixt some very large holes that the Vulcans had left!!).

As you rightly surmise, I was hijacked by the Sappers to 'advise' on helicopter lift support...... trouble was, that whilst my credentials in that department were still reasonably valid (Helo handling courses with Wessex, Sea King, Puma etc) I'd never encountered the mighty Wokka before, so my 'learning curve' in that respect was near vertical!! Suffice to say that we built Mt Kent with 650 Chinook sorties!!

The 'razzed' motorcycle was a lifeline for me to do my liaison 'bit' twixt Sappers and the FIADGE hierarchy at Canopus!!...... negotiating the potholes and discarded Argie ammo along that road was interesting to say the least!!.

At the end of the day, the boys dun a good job and I was privileged to see the first 'burnings and turnings' of the S600 on Kent. Little did I know then, that I'd be spending another 6 months in the FI helping to establish the 2 western EW sites!!. VERY muddy boots and threadbare combat clothing by June '84. 

I live in RN country down here in Somerset ...... Yeovilton helos clatter over my abode every day on their way towards their 'satellite' training airfield at Merryfield, and I take great pleasure in working out what stage of the course they are at: high approaches mean 'practice engine-off' autorotation landings, and you can almost predict when 'instructor takes over'!! 

As to joining the FCA ...... will do shortly to keep in touch with old friends.

Christmas greetings returned, and good health in '10

Stu

IP Logged

Admin 2
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 27.12.2009 at 17:48:24
Print Post  
Off-Topic replies have been moved to "Falkland Photos".

IP Logged

Grant Grafton

Reply #7 - 28.12.2009 at 10:44:43
Print Post  
All,

My thanks to everyone who has participatated in this thread.  I am now in touch with Stu Hunter and he has promised to join the association very soon.

Regards

Grant

IP Logged

Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Reply #8 - 05.01.2010 at 08:35:53
Print Post  
Hi Stu/Grant

Great to hear from you both and hope to see you some time at an FCA Event.

Thanks for the link to the Falklands Photos, they brought back many memories. I do not feature, however, as during the 'Chinooking' of the S600 I was at the other end of the proceedings onboard RFA Sir Geraint after a long but eventful voyage. The rest of my Detachment flew down later.

Hope you have a great New Year.

Rgds

Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint