This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fighter Controller to Dog-Sled Racing (Read 14,768 times)
Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Fighter Controller to Dog-Sled Racing
07.11.2009 at 18:41:27
Print Post  
I have just read a small article in today's Times Page 113 (Sat 7 Nov) about an ex-Fighter Controller, Melanie Clegg. She will be racing in the Finnmark area of North Norway (Dec - Mar) to raise money for the RAF Benevolent Fund. As she left the Branch in 2005 I doubt if I have met her, but she sounds a great girl. I know the Finnmark area well and it will be no trivial undertaking. Does anyone in the Association know of this event and is there any way we could support her?

I scanned the article and tried to attach it to this message but failed abysmally.

Dave Lowry

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Re: Fighter Controller to Dog-Sled Racing
Reply #1 - 07.11.2009 at 19:35:42
Print Post  
You beat me to it, Dave. I have asked Mel if she wanted to add a bit to the Message Board (she's a Member), but I think she's too busy with her dogs Smiley

The bits of news I have seen are in The Times Online:
Quote:
Fighter Control to dog-sled racing

The former RAF Fighter Controller Melanie Clegg will take part in four dog-sled races in the inhospitable terrain of the Finnmark plateau in Norway’s High Arctic, to raise money for the RAF Benevolent Fund. Clegg, who retired from the RAF as a flight lieutenant in 2005, decided to live in Norway after an exchange posting in the country. Declining to use a ready-made sled team, she has reared her own dogs from pups. The first of the races begins on December 15; the series ends with the taxing 500km Finnmark Race in March

and
The Middleton Guardian:
Quote:
Melanie mushes into record books
Paul Harvey
March 19, 2009

HUSKY racer Melanie Clegg received a hero's welcome as she became the first British woman to complete one of the world's toughest challenges.
And her mum has compared her to Scott of the Antarctic.
Middletonian 'musher' Melanie, 37, and her team of eight husky dogs spent three and a half days battling through snow, ice and sleep deprivation to finish the Finnmark race, a 500 kilometre slog around the Arctic Circle.
Melanie finished 41st out of the 47 strong, mainly Norwegian field of starters.
As she approached the finish line in the middle of the night, unable to see any other racers, she was worried her arrival would go unnoticed. However, her fears proved unfounded as she was met with scenes of jubilation as she entered the streets of the Norwegian town of Alta.
Mum Doreen Clegg, 82 of Bentley Avenue, said: "She was worried no one would be there, but when she crossed the finishing line all the other mushers and race officials came out to greet her, they were all cheering and clapping."
With six other racers dropping out during the race, Melanie was the final competitor to cross the line in Alta and received a specially engraved hunting knife as the last finisher. Doreen Clegg said that as a rookie, Melanie had struggled during the race, but never lost her determination to finish.
"On the last leg she was very tired and so were the dogs, so she stopped them, got out her sleeping bag and they all had a couple of hours' sleep before carrying on. She never intended to win the race, she just wanted to finish with all of her dogs fit, which she's done.
"We're very proud of her. It's like Scott of the Antarctic. The Norwegians won and the British came second."
Born and bred in Middleton, Melanie moved to Norway in 2002 when she was stationed there with the RAF and liked it so much she decided to stay. She now works as a church organist in the town of Vadsø in the Arctic Circle.
Anyone who wishes to find out more about Melanie and her life with her dogs in northern Norway can visit www.prospecthuskies.com

Mel's page on Prospect Huskies gives a link to the Benevolent Fund JustGiving page or to a page on her site to sponsor a dog and to a lot more information about the dogs and what she is hoping to achieve. There is also a piece on the BBC Manchester web pages that I won't copy in here.

The very best of luck, Mel.

Jan

IP Logged

Mel Clegg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12.11.2009 at 15:27:46
Print Post  
Thanks, Dave and Jan!  Yes, I'm too busy with the dogs, training at least 5 times a week in addition to work.  Treat it like a nice secondary duty....

Link for folks to donate direct to RAFBF:  http://www.justgiving.com/prospect-huskies

Regards from the last few days before the sun disappears.

Mel

IP Logged

Mel Clegg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 17.02.2010 at 17:55:16
Print Post  
Right folks.  Probably my last message, as it's the middle of the race season.  Not just that, but we've had loads of snow in the past few days, so I've been shovelling like painting the Forth Bridge.

The dogs have taken part in two races so far - one of 72km, and the other of 2 x 50km with a 5-hour rest between legs.  No problems with speed, and all the dogs have had the chance to race.  My problem is going to be deciding which two don't get to race in March.  A luxury problem that I'm not used to!

At time of posting, it's just 3 weeks until I take the dogs to Alta for the start of the 500km Finnmark race.  I've now trained well over a thousand miles since May, in all sorts of weather, and everything I do with the dogs, I do myself!  No external help.  It would therefore be rather nice if folks could find some spare cash to donate to my chosen charity.  After all, it is the RAF's leading welfare charity! 

Thanks in advance!  Donations can be made at http://www.justgiving.com/prospect-huskies  (And if anyone knows a really wealthy type that could help fund the cost of racing, please let me know!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint