This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) Photos of RAF Madalena, Malta 1972-75 (Read 25,499 times)
Kerry Walsh

Photos of RAF Madalena, Malta 1972-75
18.01.2010 at 18:26:37
Print Post  
For anyone interested there are some photos of RAF Madalena together with a couple of snaps of a S259 detachment to Malta at the link below.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/facesfromthepast/Malta19721975?authkey=Gv1sRgCI6ex...

Regards,

Kerry

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Re: Photos of RAF Madalena, Malta 1972-75
Reply #1 - 18.01.2010 at 19:05:01
Print Post  
Kerry, thank you for the pictures of the posting I never had.....I was posted there in the mid '70s from Buchan (possibly as your relief?) but Joan Hopkins (the OC Ops) talked me out of going...gullible or what!

You look very smart in your No1

Richard Jenner

IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 21.01.2010 at 15:56:19
Print Post  
Hi Kerry, I remeber doing a det with Alec Trevett for sim Ex - you put Alec and I on nights - thanks!  I was also posted to Madeleina from Bo and was there when mintoff kicked us out for the second time.  Sadly I was short toured to go to Bishop's Court as another joker was able to squirm out from under that posting - no names no pack drill, but he knows who he was!.  Did return a couple of years ago with Maggie and talked our way for a look around.  Not a lot had changed and it bought back many lovely memories.  Kind regards to you and yours - Plez

IP Logged

Kerry Walsh

Reply #3 - 21.01.2010 at 17:47:53
Print Post  
I can just about remember the various detachments during my time at Madalena, they were certainly the highlights of an otherwise pleasant but uneventful tour.  Lord knows how many brain cells were destroyed on some of the evenings out in Sliema.

I think that Ralph Bowler took over as CO after Joe Salt retired and that Martin O'Carroll replaced self as Ops Officer - but I could be wrong.   Happy daze!

IP Logged

Mike Good

Reply #4 - 22.01.2010 at 18:49:39
Print Post  
Yes, I seem to recall that the annual Malta Adex was a real hardship detachment.  But somebody had to roll off the sunbathing rock at St Peter's Pool and dive down to the bottom to bring up the next round of naturally-chilled bottles of Cisk from the crates on the bottom....

IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 25.01.2010 at 14:09:40
Print Post  
You are right about Martin O'Carroll, as I replaced him.  I'm not sure about Ralph as Aubrey Spencer came as  OC shortly after I had arrived.

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #6 - 26.01.2010 at 18:17:51
Print Post  
Yes, it was Martin O'Carroll who went to Madalena from Buchan instead of me.....not his fault of course.

Richard

IP Logged

Alec Trevett

Reply #7 - 17.02.2010 at 18:41:26
Print Post  
Thanks for the piccies Kerry...takes me back. I well remember those night shifts with Plez. I was a pimply-faced, impressionable shiny new Plt Off then...(some would argue little change....). Plez may remember that we had a 'useful' Italian phrase in chinagraph on the console for use with Martina Franca..."Iss alla gonta worms"    Happy Days.  PS. Kerry - Is that your microlight?

IP Logged

Kerry Walsh

Reply #8 - 18.02.2010 at 11:14:36
Print Post  
Happy days indeed. 'Che va male' was the handy phrase, I can still remember it, God knows why.

The microlight (Thruster T600) belongs to the club where I eventually learned to fly.  The pic was taken after my first solo hence the stupid grin.

Regards,

Kerry

IP Logged

Martin O'Carroll

Reply #9 - 14.05.2010 at 16:25:10
Print Post  
Kerry! How the devil are you!

You are quite correct in your recall. Ralf Bowler did replace Joe Salt and I took your place. Ralf had to leave about half way through his tour due to the loss of his father and mother as I recall. I ended up running Madalena for three months until Bob Livingston arrived.

I had actually done a detachment there with 23 Sqn and Tony Ples the year before -  1974 I think. I think Dave Taylor and Bob Griffiths may have been with us on that one as well - not sure about that.

I really enjoyed my time there and I am certain a lot of brain cells went west due to the social life that went along with every detachment.

I would very much like to get some copies of those photos. can I download them from somewhere?

Glad to see you're enjoying yourself. The Thruster is a great microlight. I am currently flying a paramotor!

IP Logged

Bob Williams

Reply #10 - 07.09.2010 at 22:48:22
Print Post  
Hi Martin, you were almost correct. The Buchan detachment in 1974 was Plez, myself and two very shiny POs yourself and Geordie Taylor. Think Geordie still owes me cash from the odd trip down the Gut!! Hope you are keeping well.
Hi Kerry
Bob Williams

IP Logged

Elizabeth Mcgowan

Reply #11 - 04.10.2010 at 17:09:24
Print Post  
Hi Kerry Joe Salt was my father I have the photo at Madalena on my wall he was very happy the time he spent at Madalena

Elizabeth McGowan

IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05.10.2010 at 10:22:07
Print Post  
Hi Elizabeth, I served with your dad during a detachment and wondered if the "Salt" with an estate agency in Malta is any relation? Regards Tony Pleasant

IP Logged

Mike Greatorex

Reply #13 - 28.10.2010 at 16:08:14
Print Post  
Well, well.  Smiley

I've just returned from a week on Malta, my first since going to the island from Buchan in '78 on a Trembler's APC - possibly the last F4 det to Luqa, IIRC.  I promised the newly-wed Mrs G that I'd take her there one day.  Better late than never, eh?  Grin

Malta still wears its history on its face.  The RAF buildings at Luqa now appear to be the HQ and home base of the Maltese Defence Forces.  Taxiing in on arrival, I was surprised and chuffed to see a VC10 on the pan, presumably the AT for the UK military bands performing at the Tattoo that weekend.

'Chains' restaurant is still in business albeit with shiny new facilities.  Their steak and onion ftira appears sadly to have been deleted from the menu.  Sad  Still, plenty of excellent feeders to choose from in St Julians.

Unfortunately the tours of Fort Madliena only take place on Saturdays (courtesy of the Maltese St John's Ambulance folks) so I didn't get chance to walk the ground there again.  Many happy memories, though, not least being told by Aubrey Spencer that I was being posted to 280SU soon after the end of the det!  On the down side, I'd just spent the last of my KD allowance on beer having done most of the det in blues.  Doh!  Grin

Happy daze!

Mike

IP Logged

David Jackson

Reply #14 - 30.11.2010 at 11:12:27
Print Post  
Hope you dont mind a word frrom a lowly ex Cpl, I was NCO ic B Technical watch at Madalena until 1975 and remember Mr Walsh & Frank Salt, Also served at Hal Far on the S259
(Later spent many happy hours repairing bits of that one as Senior Test Rngineer at Marconi RADAR)
Now retierd in Malta where I can see Madliena from the front terrace.
regards,
David Jackson

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Reply #15 - 30.11.2010 at 11:23:12
Print Post  
Hello David

Other than the difference between Members and non-Members, everyone is equal on this Board, so thank you for your memories and reminiscences. Please feel free to post here in a similar vein again and, if you have any, point us to a couple of photos, perhaps?

Best wishes

Jan

IP Logged

Andy Bentley

Reply #16 - 29.04.2011 at 02:30:25
Print Post  
I did a Detachment to Madelena in 72 from Patrington, 11 Sqd were the APC flight. Joe Salt was the CO at the time. Many happy memories.

IP Logged

Dick Lane

Reply #17 - 18.07.2011 at 15:14:45
Print Post  
Greetings from a 'fish head',
I disembarked from HMS ARK ROYAL in a Phantom to RAF LUQA and then spent the following few weeks controlling 892NAS from Madalena in 1973, Also a Chief Controller at RAF Buchan (73 - 76), before returning to the 'dark side' and Type 42 Destroyers/Falkland War etc! In fact Kerry, I remember you from both Madalena and Buchan - was it really that long ago?? Regards to all - Dick Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Kerry Walsh

Reply #18 - 19.07.2011 at 10:03:49
Print Post  
Hi Dick,
Yes, it was really that long ago; but I can still remember our resident fishhead despite advancing old age.  Nice to hear from you again after all these years.   
Regards,
Kerry

IP Logged

Francis-Xavier Zarb
Forum Member

Reply #19 - 10.03.2015 at 18:07:37
Print Post  
This photo was taken few weeks before RAF MADLIENA CEASED OPERTIONS.

IMG_2525206-1.jpg ( 68 KB | 357 Downloads )
IMG_2525206-1.jpg

IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 16.04.2015 at 07:54:39
Print Post  
Hi Kerry and all ex Malta types.  I have just returned from a 3 week holiday and for the second time met up with ex Cpl Frank Zarb.  I am sure all who remember Frank will be pleased he is happy with his lot and is  2 months older than me!! I am glad somebody is.  I am sure Frank would wish to be remebered to all who served wih him.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint