This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help! Looking for information on Sgt William Archibald Tyler (Read 3,846 times)
nick deane

Help! Looking for information on Sgt William Archibald Tyler
19.02.2010 at 20:23:35
Print Post  
Hello. My name is Nick Deane. I don't know if you are able to help. I am following web page leads looking for information about my uncle Sgt William Archibald Tyler. He was my mother's brother. I know he died in somewhat tragic circumstances flying as a navigator in a Hampden when it was shot down 4 minutes after take off. It was his birthday!!. I have found references to his being a well scoring fighter pilot. This is new information to me. Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Kerry Walsh

Re: Help! Looking for information on Sgt William Archibald Tyler
Reply #1 - 20.02.2010 at 12:08:09
Print Post  
Hi Nick,

Hampden aircraft carried a crew of 4 airmen, 2 pilots and two  air gunners. The second pilot also served as the navigator and the upper gunner also served as the wireless operator.  Your uncle would have been a qualified pilot so it is just possible that he had previously flown fighters.

Hampden AD 761 of 144 squadron based at Hemswell took off at 11:59 on 16 May 1941 bound for a minelaying operation off the Fresian Islands.  The aircraft took off with all its navigation lights showing despite having been warned that an intruder was in the area.  About 4 minutes after take off it was attacked by a Ju 88 flown by Fw Hans Hahn, a minor luftwaffe night fighter ace, and was set alight.  The pilot - Sgt H Kirby, co-pilot/navigator - Sgt W A Tyler, and the lower gunner - Sgt V G Elliott were killed in the attack but the wireless operator/air gunner Sgt George Walsh was able to bale out despite being severely wounded.

Which is why I am able to respond to your enquiry...

I am contacting you direct by email, as I expect that we can share more information.

Regards,

Kerry Walsh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint