This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) Kev Rosie (Read 38,791 times)
Clive Gibson

Kev Rosie
15.01.2011 at 11:20:07
Print Post  
Kev Rosie died last night, in Oman, after a short illness.
Kev was a yet another tremendous character with an amazing zest for life.
Kev and I have partied around the world and I will miss him dearly.
He was also one of my closest friends and Godfather to my eldest daughter.  He leaves behind a lovely wife, Kyra, and three wonderful children. Our thoughts are with them at this dreadful time.

RIP.

IP Logged

Chris Thorpe

Re: Kev Rosie
Reply #1 - 15.01.2011 at 14:43:31
Print Post  
Clive

Shocking news but thank you for sharing it.  As you say, Kev was a fantastic guy with a big heart, one of the great 'characters' known by everyone.
Our thoughts are with Kyra, the children and, of course, the wider family many of us know.
RIP Kev.

Thorpey.

IP Logged

Andy Wilkins

Reply #2 - 15.01.2011 at 15:06:21
Print Post  
I can only echo what Chris has said above. Kev and I had a great time at 280SU - united by a former Air Traffic Controller - the world was our oyster, especially in terms of potential for collective "hats on" interviews as indeed was Neatishead with dear old Gerry Newton. Shocking does not cover it! St Peter will have his hands full now and I will raise a glass or two to Kev tonight. God Speed feller; thoughts are with his family.
Wilks

IP Logged

Alec Hunt

Reply #3 - 15.01.2011 at 16:50:06
Print Post  
This is such a shock, I was speaking to him prior to Xmas. Kev will be sorely missed. Our thoughts and sympathy go out to Kyra, her children and the wider family.

Alec

IP Logged

Sue Gillott

Reply #4 - 15.01.2011 at 17:29:43
Print Post  
I'm so sorry to hear this and every sympathy to Kyra (who won't remember me but her sister possibly does) and all the family.

Sue

IP Logged

Phil Angus

Reply #5 - 15.01.2011 at 17:34:58
Print Post  
A highly professional officer and consummate wit.  I will miss him badly.

IP Logged

Dave Knight

Reply #6 - 15.01.2011 at 17:45:05
Print Post  
Like everyone else, Den and I are shocked and heartbroken at the loss of one of life's great personalities. Kev was simply a great bloke and I will always be glad to have been considered one of his friends. Kyra: we send you and the children all our love and heartfelt best wishes x

IP Logged

Ian Green

Reply #7 - 15.01.2011 at 18:57:11
Print Post  
Shocking news. I didn't know Kev all that well, but on the rare occasions when we did meet, he always lived up to his reputation! The Branch has lost a character and will be the poorer for it.
Best wishes to Kyra and the children.

IP Logged

Ian Walkerdine

Reply #8 - 15.01.2011 at 20:25:15
Print Post  
Very sad and shocking news! Sincere condolences to Kyra and the children.

IP Logged

Alec Trevett

Reply #9 - 15.01.2011 at 21:53:31
Print Post  
  I am really shocked and very deeply saddened to hear this. Kev was a young Fg Off on my Sqn at Neatishead and marked himself out from the beginning as both a very professional fighter controller and a great 'character'. I knew him later when he joined the ASSU team at Boulmer and in various places off and on over the years. Kev came to my farewell beers at Bentley Priory when I left the RAF in 2003. I always enjoyed his company immensely - and was looking forward to having a beer or two and a yarn in his company whenever we met again. We have lost one of the very best. I'll be raising a glass to Kev tonight. Sincere sympathies to Kyra, Roger and family.

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #10 - 15.01.2011 at 23:38:52
Print Post  
I didn't know Kev well, our paths rarely crossed, but when they did, I found him to be, as Phil has rightly said, a thoroughly professional officer and a consummate wit. We are all the poorer for his passing and I send my sincere condolences to his family.

IP Logged

Mike Harrop

Reply #11 - 16.01.2011 at 04:43:41
Print Post  
I heard the rumour last night which was sadly confirmed this morning that the branch has lost another true professional, priceless character and all round good egg.  Raising a glass to you Kev and thanks for all the good times.  Best wishes to Kyra and the family.

IP Logged

Mike Greatorex

Reply #12 - 16.01.2011 at 08:51:51
Print Post  
How terribly sad.  Kev was a super bloke whose sense of fun was matched by his talents as an operator.  A smile and a laugh were never far away when Kev was around.  Such an untimely loss.

My deepest condolences to his family.

Mike

IP Logged

Chris Knapman

Reply #13 - 16.01.2011 at 09:42:14
Print Post  
We had a typically raucous gathering in the bar at Boulmer on Thursday night, and Kev's name was inevitably on the list of "Branch Legends" who got a good talking about in his absence.  I'm sure he won't mind if we keep doing so for a long time to come.  He'll be sorely missed.

My condolences to all the extended family and friends.

Chris

IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 16.01.2011 at 10:46:39
Print Post  
Kev and I served several times together and I sincerely agree with all the comments to date.  Lots of sympathy to his family for a most untimely loss.  Plez

IP Logged

Mark Chinery

Reply #15 - 16.01.2011 at 11:51:42
Print Post  
I have just heard this sad news. Kev and Ky were my neighbours during my first tour at Neatishead and you couldn't have asked for a better introduction to the fighter control branch. Both a great friend, gigantic character, full of wit and humour, yet compassionate and caring. One of the branch names it would be impossible to forget.

He introduced me to the wonders of curry, real ale and Bishop's Finger, home cooking (his food was always fantastic), adult films, the first ever CD player I had ever seen, garlic...the list goes on and on. He was a confidente and a patient coach.

Although our friendship waned over the years through distances, personal reasons and disparate postings, I always look back fondly on those days in the late eighties when Kev's 'larger than life' character was first introduced to a young and naive Pilot Officer fresh out of West Drayton.

I very much hope that, when I reach whatever the afterlife is, I have Kev there to greet me, show me the ropes and crack a joke. I am so desparately sad for Kyra and their children. Like all of us, they had their ups and downs but Kev and Ky were indisputable soulmates.

God speed Kev, and all my prayers to your family. Andy is indeed correct - St Peter has his hands full with you!

IP Logged

Rod Long
Forum Member

Reply #16 - 16.01.2011 at 12:15:27
Print Post  
Pam and I were devastated to hear the news of Kev's passing and agree with all the previous sentiments. We worked together many times both in the service and within BAE Systems. Our deepest condolences to Kyra and the children'

Rod

IP Logged

Taff Curtis

Reply #17 - 16.01.2011 at 12:25:33
Print Post  
How deeply saddened Carol and myself are to hear this unbelieveably news.  I had the good fortune to serve a few tours and detachments with Kevin and as I recollect those treasured memories the tears are in my eyes. It will be no comfort to Kyra but Kev was a very slick operator in the hussle and bussle of an Ops Room, moreover, the support he gave me as my No2 and Ops Officer at 280SU was superb but I will always remember him as a very good friend, the jolly times and a man who cooked a mean curry! To Kyra our deepest sympathy and condolences at this most difficult time. Taff C

IP Logged

John Taylor

Kev Rosie
Reply #18 - 16.01.2011 at 16:48:45
Print Post  
I was so sad to hear this news.  This reminds me of our mortality.  Our thoughts are with Kyra and the children. I can add no more to the comments posted above.  Memories will keep him alive in our hearts.  JT

IP Logged

Ian Fish
Committee

Treasurer

Reply #19 - 16.01.2011 at 17:16:15
Print Post  
Only knew Kev for two months in 1985 at 7SU - what a character and the heartbeat of the unit.  In the last 25 years I have often thought that I should catch up with him again and failed to do so - my loss.  My thoughts are with his wife, children, extended family and all who knew and loved him.

Ian

IP Logged

Al Squared

Reply #20 - 16.01.2011 at 17:41:12
Print Post  
Very tragic loss of someone that always brought happiness and laughter with him where ever he went.  Our thoughts  are with Kye and the children - RIP

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Reply #21 - 16.01.2011 at 19:58:44
Print Post  
Readers may wish to know that a similar thread has been started on PPRuNe.

IP Logged

Angie Johnson
Committee

ADRM Liaison

Reply #22 - 16.01.2011 at 20:04:45
Print Post  
Please send my sincere condolences to Kyra and the family. Kev was a larger than life character who will not be forgotten and like Chris K I was only relating to friends last week some of the terrible jokes he used to tell - usually about us WRAF!! But he always made me laugh and had a good heart. Never mind the curry i still use his recipe for Carbonara! RIP Kev xx

IP Logged

Chris Benn

Reply #23 - 16.01.2011 at 21:11:30
Print Post  
Dear All - Clearly the whole family is devastated. Funeral details along with the family's instructions will be posted shortly. Ky can be contacted directly by close friends - I can provide the required telephone numbers although they will be flying back to the UK at the end of this week - Thank you for all your kind thoughts, which I am passing along both to Ky and the rest of the family - Chris Benn.
Edited:
While logged-in Members will be able to 'click' on the link below and send an email to Chris, Guests will not see that link but may contact me via the 'Contact ...' page (Menu button above). I will forward such messages to Chris.

Jan Cobb (Secretary)

IP Logged

Greg Hammond

Reply #24 - 16.01.2011 at 21:55:02
Print Post  
Truly shocking to have lost Kev so suddenly and prematurely.  So many happy memories of times in his company, not least in Cyprus.  My condolences to all Kev's family.

IP Logged

Peter Green

Reply #25 - 16.01.2011 at 22:39:28
Print Post  
Kev and I were FAs on opposite Flights on 2 Sqn Neatishead and he and Ky' lived opposite us in Douglas Close.  The pressure of work and fact that we were the only FAs for quite some time showed his great commitment and professionalism. He was probably the brightest officer I ever knew and he combined this with a hedonistic zest for the good things in life. His dinners and especially curries were memorable. And what a talented photographer!  I could go on and on. Most of all, Kev was a very good friend and a very trusted confidant during some difficult times. He could banter with the best but was a loyal pal as both officer and civvy.

Ky, our deepest sympathies to you and the children and I have no doubt that God will have his hands full but will enjoy every minute of Kev.

Peter 

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #26 - 17.01.2011 at 08:48:17
Print Post  
Like everyone else, Helen & I were shocked to hear this very sad and unexpected news. I first came across Kev at Staxton Wold where it was rapidly obvious that he was a natural close controller and that ability and professionalism carried forward to all his subsequent roles. I can echo the comments about zest and cooking (especially the curries) and it was Kev who taught me how to use a dark room which became a consuming hobby until the advent of 'digitial'.

There was never a dull moment when Kev was around - occasionally as an 'exec' you wished there were some - but he was such a generous and genuine person he was always forgiven in the end.

Chris please pass on our condolences to Kyra and the rest of the family.

Richard & Helen Jenner

IP Logged

Martyn Bettel

Reply #27 - 17.01.2011 at 10:10:52
Print Post  
Jaqui and I were desperately saddened by the news of Kev's death and we would like to extend our deepest sympathy to Kyra and all his family.  They are in our thoughts at this time.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Geoff Cooper

Reply #28 - 17.01.2011 at 11:59:35
Print Post  
Kev and I were on the same IC course at West Drayton in '82-ish. He - a wet behind the ears (but drying fast) pilot officer straight from RAFC was the easiest of people to get along with. Always 'up', cheerful and impossible to forget. We went our separate ways after the course and I never saw him again but he clearly made his mark in the FC world.
My condolences to his wife and family.

IP Logged

Andy Knill

Reply #29 - 17.01.2011 at 12:56:01
Print Post  
Very sad news.

Andy

IP Logged

Belders

Reply #30 - 17.01.2011 at 13:39:33
Print Post  
A sad loss for sure.  People all around the globe will have him and his family in their thoughts.
He touched all people who came in contact with him, both in the Officer ranks, but also in the normal ranks too, always had an open door and words of wisdom and great advice that matched his curry skills, sense of humour, he never could get his head around the concept when in Cyprus of "Blind Archers" and caused him to guffaw when ever the topic was raised.

IP Logged

Steve Larry

Reply #31 - 18.01.2011 at 20:21:57
Print Post  
What tragic and terribly sad news - what a bloke!  Although I haven't seen much of Kev over the last few years, I am fortunate enough to have very fond memories of our time at Boulmer and in Cyprus.  He was quite clearly one of the most popular and talked about members of our club - every Branch needs a 'Kev'.  He will be sorely missed.  My sincerest condolences Ky.

IP Logged

Peter Green

Reply #32 - 19.01.2011 at 20:18:28
Print Post  
That's ENDEX Kev Mate.

See you in the bar

Pete

IP Logged

Craige Curry

Reply #33 - 20.01.2011 at 20:48:48
Print Post  
A terrible shame and loss of a great man.

I still have a great debt outstanding to Kev. He demonstrated great patience and instructional technique during those typically 'Combat Ready' trg moments I had as a very young and naive SNCO FC at Buchan.

He was an inspiration to all who had the privilege to meet him.

Craige 

IP Logged

Chris Benn

Reply #34 - 23.01.2011 at 22:00:39
Print Post  
Kev Rosie’s funeral will be held on Friday 4 February at Croydon Cemetery and Crematorium, starting at 1545 and afterwards at Farleigh Court Golf Club.

These locations can be found at the following links:
www.croydon.gov.uk/community/deaths/cemeteries/cemetery 
maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=farleigh+golf+club+surrey&fb=1&gl=u...

By way of condolences, Kyra has requested flowers, which should reach the undertakers no later than 1200L on 4 February:

Selsdon & District Funeral Services
204 Addington Road
Selsdon
CR2 8LD

If you will be attending the funeral, could you please contact me by the evening of Wednesday 26 January so that we have an idea of numbers for the catering. I can be reached by telephone on 01628 628202, or FCA Members may click the button below; all others may contact the Sec (Jan Cobb) via the Contact Page (Menu link above), who will pass your messages on to me.

If you need local accommodation, the following list may be useful:
Croydon Hilton, Purley Way
Coulsdon Manor Hotel
Selsdon Park Hotel
Croydon Park Hotel or there are both Premier Inns and Travel Lodges within easy reach.

Chris

IP Logged

Brian Webb

Reply #35 - 24.01.2011 at 18:00:33
Print Post  
Shocked at Kevs untimely passing. Sincere condolences to Kyra and all his family.
Brian

IP Logged

Chris Benn

Funeral - Kev Rosie
Reply #36 - 25.01.2011 at 21:53:30
Print Post  
Dear All - for those attending, the funeral is being held in the East Chapel at Croydon Cemetery and Crematorium

IP Logged

Aileen Ronaldson

Reply #37 - 19.02.2011 at 10:36:43
Print Post  
Extremely shocked to hear of Kev's passing - a lovely man and far too young to leave us.  My thoughts and condolences are with Kyra.
Aileen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint