This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sqn Ldr A R (Bob) Fridge RAF Retd (Read 10,328 times)
Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Sqn Ldr A R (Bob) Fridge RAF Retd
17.01.2011 at 12:02:59
Print Post  
I'm afraid that the bad and sad news doesn't stop. Indirectly, through Pete Smith, Angela Wood and a friend of Bob's, who is attending the funeral today, I have heard that Bob died last week. My condolences go to all who were close to him.

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Re: Sqn Ldr A R (Bob) Fridge RAF Retd
Reply #1 - 17.01.2011 at 14:06:49
Print Post  
Oh dear, oh dear, yet more terrible news!   Bob was my squadron commander at Boulmer in 1981/82 and a kinder, more considerate and more helpful man you couldn't wish to meet.   He was very understanding when I needed urgent compassionate leave for my father's final illness, a kindness which I have never forgotten.   My sincere condolences go to all his family and friends.   RIP

Mike

IP Logged

Nick Gadd

Reply #2 - 17.01.2011 at 15:09:53
Print Post  
I was so sorry to hear of the death of Bob. We were opposite squadron commanders at Boulmer in 1981/2 and I always admired his sense of humour especially when as PMC he was trying to keep certain Wg Cdrs and Sqn Ldrs in check! My deepest sympathy and condolences to family and friends. Rest in peace.

Nick

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #3 - 17.01.2011 at 16:29:40
Print Post  
Bob was a big influence on me during my first tour at Patrington. We both lived-in and he delighted in spending the evenings (in the bar) in debate. He would toss a subject in to the air and immediately take a counter position to whosoever was foolish enough (generally me) to have an opinion.

He also impressed in my memory that he was the smartest orderly officer I'd ever seen (in No1s of course) - and that was when I was recently from OCTU and still had a No 1 that fitted.

He really made me laugh though once in the Ops Room when he was Chief Controller and was giving his name to some stroppy sod on the 'phone 'Fridge, that's Fridge as in ice cold!'. Nothing could have been further from the truth in all senses.

Richard Jenner

IP Logged

Martin O'Carroll
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 17.01.2011 at 18:09:43
Print Post  
I was saddened to hear of the death of Bob Fridge who a lot of us older members will remember with a deep fondness and respect for a true officer and gentleman. Another one of the Branch's greats.

My condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace Bob.

Martin

IP Logged

Dave Todd

Reply #5 - 18.01.2011 at 10:01:36
Print Post  
I first met Bob around 1979/80 when he arrived at Boulmer to take over 1 Sqn but without a CONEX ticket and no qualified deputy.  So I was loaned to 1 Sqn ('reluctantly'? by Nick Gadd) and worked very closely with Bob for a few weeks.  He was a kind, thoughtful and very interesting man who I had a lot of respect for.  As a sqn Cdr he always looked out for his people first and foremost.  Another 'character' has sadly gone.

IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 18.01.2011 at 10:05:44
Print Post  
As a SNCO I had the dubious pleasure of setting up an ordely room over which Bob presided.  As I checked the room before the guilty person was marched in,(the charge, assault with a Reisling bottle), I noticed the weapon sitting to the front of the desk! I suggested he move the evidence to a less reachable position - Bob agreed.  The real moment came when Bob had to read a witness statement, I paraphase, "when the accused struck the victim, the bottle did not break and the accused said, 'that must be one ******* strong bottle"
I had an awful lot of trouble keeping my face straight and the Officer Under Instruction, I think it was Jem Bateman, had even more trouble than me, but he was standing behind Bob!  Just one of many fond memories.  May he rest in peace. Much sympathy to his loved ones.

IP Logged

Mike Tippen

Reply #7 - 18.01.2011 at 21:22:21
Print Post  
May I join those who have already sent their condolences and reminiscences .   I first met Bob at Patrington and then later at Boulmer where he was an excellent Sqn Cdr.   None of us who worked with him will ever forget his 'unique' sense of humour!  It was all the more of a surprise to hear of his passing since we received a very upbeat e-mail from him as recently as 18th December.   He will certainly be greatly missed by us and his many friends.   Mike Tippen

IP Logged

Andy Knill

Reply #8 - 19.01.2011 at 09:57:22
Print Post  
Sorry to hear more sad news - Bob was my Sqn Cdr at Boulmer and it is a real pleasure to have known and worked with him

IP Logged

Neville Fridge

Reply #9 - 20.01.2011 at 22:58:38
Print Post  
Sadly and unexpectedly Alex (Bob) died in his sleep in Aldershot, England, on January 4, 2011. The funeral took place in Aldershot on Monday, January 17th.

The following words were spoken during the service, as a tribute to his life:

"Alexander Robert Fridge, known to many as 'Bob', was born in Bordon, Hampshire, in 1932. Raised by his mother in sometimes difficult circumstances, through economic depression and the war, he had a brother and three sisters, who survive him and to whom he remained devoted during his whole life.

He joined the Royal Air Force at 19, and served during the next 32 years in England, Egypt, the Isle of Man, Germany, Kuwait, Belgium and Oman, as well as a tour of duty on the aircraft carrier H.M.S. Ark Royal. During that time he rose from the lowest initial entry rank to become a commissioned officer in 1964, and retired from the Air Force in 1983 as a Squadron Leader and Acting Wing Commander.

Although his primary expertise was in radar and aircraft control from the ground he enjoyed flying on many occasions, and became a proud member of the exclusive "Ten Ton Club" of people who have flown in a supersonic jet fighter at a speed of more than 1,000 miles an hour.

Following his retirement from the RAF in 1983 he pursued a second career as a lecturer and trainer, firstly at Bailbrook College in Bath, and then in Saudi Arabia with Lockheed and British Aerospace, before retiring at 60 years of age to his beloved house in the hills above Carmel Valley in California. After 15 years there, he spent a further 4 happy years in Menorca, Spain before moving back to his childhood home in Aldershot in 2010.

Bob had two children, Linda and Neville, from his short marriage to his wife Brenda in the 1950's. During their childhood years his many foreign postings kept him at a distance, but as time went by they grew closer, and he became intensely proud of the many educational and professional achievements of both his children and his five grandchildren, living in Scotland and the United States.

Wherever he went, Bob's gentle personality, knack for conversation and respect for people from all walks of life rapidly gained him a circle of devoted friends who, together with all the members of his large extended family, will miss him deeply."

I would also like to express the Fridge family's sincere gratitude for the messages that have been posted on the Association's message board in recent days. It is particularly helpful for the younger generation, his five grandchildren and many of their cousins who knew my father well, to be able to see such evidence of the respect and affection accorded him by the fellow officers and others with whom he served.

- Neville (son)

IP Logged

Maggie Lennie

Reply #10 - 21.01.2011 at 09:45:18
Print Post  
My cousin Neville sent me the link and responses to the annoucement on the RAF FCA Message Board.

I would like to add my own sentiments that the messages printed have afforded me great comfort following the loss of my Uncle.  He was my mentor and confidant and I know anyone lucky enough to have met him, will feel a huge void without him.

My sincere thanks for the lovely memories and stories

with kind regards

susie  (niece)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint