This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) Death of Jo Newton (Read 26,854 times)
Nick Gadd

Death of Jo Newton
02.02.2011 at 10:28:02
Print Post  
It is with great sadness that I have to inform you that our very dear friend Jo Newton passed away peacefully last night 1 Feb at 11:15pm. She will be greatly missed by her family and her many friends in the wider RAF community. We send our sincere condolences to Gerry, Kate, Louise and Richard and their families. Funeral details to follow.

Nick Gadd

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Re: Death of Jo Newton
Reply #1 - 02.02.2011 at 10:58:06
Print Post  
That is sad and tragic news indeed. I have extremely fond memories of Jo from days gone by; my sincerest condolences to Gerry and the family.

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #2 - 02.02.2011 at 11:48:38
Print Post  
How very, very sad. Jo was a lovely lady and will be greatly missed. My sincere condolences to Gerry and the family.

Mike

IP Logged

Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Reply #3 - 02.02.2011 at 12:53:36
Print Post  
I know how the Family are feeling. Whilst we cannot put things 'right', as much as we would like to, the kind thoughts of others do help. Gerry, my thoughts are with you all.

Dave

IP Logged

Clive Gibson

Reply #4 - 02.02.2011 at 14:14:44
Print Post  
How very sad.   A lovely Lady who kept a weather eye on the 23 Plt Off's at Buchan in 82/83.  Great fun at a party and a trusted confidant.  She also stopped Wg Cdr Newton from getting within engagement range on more than one occasion.  My condolences to the family.  RIP.

IP Logged

Dave Todd

Reply #5 - 02.02.2011 at 14:35:18
Print Post  
We are very saddened to hear of Jo's death and send our condolences to Gerry and the family. Jo was a lovely lady with a great sense of humour and very much a party animal. She will be remembered with great affection throughout the branch.
Gwyneth & Davidxx

IP Logged

Alec Trevett

Reply #6 - 02.02.2011 at 18:10:34
Print Post  
A lovely lady who was always delightful company and will be very sadly missed by all who knew her. We both have very fond memories of happy times with Jo 'on the Patch' in Norwich. A very special Lady - it was a joy and a privilege to have known her.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Jerry and the Family

Alec and Sonja Trevett

IP Logged

Sue Cobb

Reply #7 - 02.02.2011 at 18:38:40
Print Post  
I was so sorry to hear the sad news of Jo's passing . Jo was a truly  wonderful lady, who gave so much to so many. I have really fond memories of my time with you both in Buchan. Jo always had a listening ear and a great sense of fun!
Sending you, Gerry, and your family my sincere condolences. Sue Cobb xx

IP Logged

Ted Hill

Reply #8 - 02.02.2011 at 20:38:45
Print Post  
We were so sorry to hear the news.  Jo was a true friend to so many of us at Buchan in the 80's and was so often the support the younger families there could rely on.  Her novel approach of using a drop of sherry to calm a screaming infant will never be forgotten!
Our sincerest condolences to Gerry and family.
Ted & Kim Hill

IP Logged

Judith McCullouch

Reply #9 - 03.02.2011 at 21:16:57
Print Post  
Such sad news.  Jo was a wonderful lady - I learned soooooo much from her and have many, many happy memories of survival as an RAF wife and mother of young children - bloody mary soup heated on the only open fire left in Buchan is one of the repeatable ones that comes to mind.

IP Logged

Martyn Bettel

Reply #10 - 05.02.2011 at 11:34:31
Print Post  
We were desperately sad to hear that dear Jo had passed away.  We both have very fond memories of her and Gerry from our time together at Boulmer in the late 70's.  Our thoughts are with Gerry and the family at this time.  Jaqui and Martyn

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Mary France

Reply #11 - 06.02.2011 at 21:37:48
Print Post  
So very sorry to hear of Jo´s death.  I first met Jo at Honington when I was fairly newly married (1964).  We met up again in 1982 (or 1981) at Buchan when John was CO at Saxa Vord.  We visited them and Jo took me shopping in Aberdeen  -  Jo was great for shopping!!  Condolences to Gerry and family.  Mary.

IP Logged

Nick Gadd

Reply #12 - 07.02.2011 at 11:17:43
Print Post  
Wg Cdr Gerry Newton has asked me to convey his thanks for all the kind messages of sympathy he and his family have received.
A Requiem Mass will be held for Jo at St Mary's Madeley on Friday 18 February 2011 at 12.15pm followed by a service at Telford Crematorium at 1.45pm. Family flowers only, but donations for Breathe Easy Telford are being gratefully received for which purpose a collecting box will be provided.

For Satcom Users:
Church: 70 High Street, Madeley TF7 5AH

Crematorium: Woodhouse Lane, Redhill, Telford
TF2 9NJ

Hotel: Park House Hotel, Park St,
Shifnal TF11 9BA

All other enquiries: Harry Edwards & Sons, Tel: 01952 244949

Nick Gadd

IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07.02.2011 at 12:25:47
Print Post  
My sincere condolences to Gerry and family.

IP Logged

Joan Badcock

Reply #14 - 07.02.2011 at 20:28:29
Print Post  
Peter and I were so very sad to hear of Jo's death. We both have fond memories of happy times spent together.
Jo and I had many exciting shopping trips to Aberdeen, many many great parties and lots of shared "Alternative Happy Hours" the list could go on and on. Jo was one of lifes big personalities. Always there to help and support. She will be missed.
Our thoughts are with you Gerry and with your family of whom she was so proud.
Joan and Peter

IP Logged

JUDITH POOLE

Reply #15 - 10.02.2011 at 20:46:29
Print Post  
It was with great sadness that I heard of Jo’s death tonight from her daughter, Kate. I had only known Jo and her family from when I was in the same ward in Telford hospital over the New Year.

She seemed to be on the mend and her family all doted on her. It was nice to talk to Kate.

Please accept both John’s (ex-army husband) and my sincere thoughts to Mr. Newton and family.

Judith Poole

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #16 - 17.02.2011 at 07:48:00
Print Post  
Gerry,

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow and remembering Jo with fondness.

Richard & Helen

IP Logged

Denis and Pat Rait

Reply #17 - 18.02.2011 at 16:59:25
Print Post  
So sad to hear of Jo`s passing, we both have such fond memories of many happy times spent at RAF Buchan. Our condolences to Gerry and the family

Denis & Pat

IP Logged

Angie Johnson
Committee

ADRM Liaison

Reply #18 - 20.02.2011 at 22:31:02
Print Post  
I am so sorry to hear the news about Jo, she was a very special lady and i have fond memories of her especially in how supporting she was of us youngsters of the day and what splendid sense of humour she had. My heart felt sympathy to Gerry and the family. x

IP Logged

Gerry

Reply #19 - 24.02.2011 at 10:45:06
Print Post  
Thank you all for your kind messages, cards and condolences.  Your support at Jo's funeral was a great help and showed your appreciation of her.
Gerry

IP Logged

Pennie Wells, Surrey

Reply #20 - 02.03.2011 at 16:58:53
Print Post  
Gerry. It is very sad to hear of Jo's death. I have such happy memories of you both, especially at Buchan & Norwich. I was very sad not to have made it to the funeral, but, the regular supply of annual notes from you both will remain with me. All the best to you Gerry and the family. Pennie

IP Logged

Roly Lee

Reply #21 - 16.04.2011 at 21:53:30
Print Post  
Heather and I were so sorry to hear of Jo's death.  She was a wonderful lady and we will always have fond memories of her especially during our time at Buchan.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint