This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Falkland Islands Phantoms. (Read 16,308 times)
Steve Poole

Falkland Islands Phantoms.
06.05.2011 at 11:17:57
Print Post  
I am in the process of building a model of a Phantom from 23 Sqn when based in the Falklands.I am sure that they only carried two Skyflash instead of the usual four.Is there anyone who may be able to help an ex Scopie with this? Thanks in anticipation.

IP Logged

Rob McNab

Re: Falkland Islands Phantoms.
Reply #1 - 06.05.2011 at 14:05:50
Print Post  
Steve, just dug out some photos taken from the top of Mt Kent of F4's on trackex's. Can only see 2 Skyflash on each aircraft.

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #2 - 06.05.2011 at 14:11:08
Print Post  
Steve,

I've been looking at my 1985 album and the picture I took of an F4 from the back of a C130 dispensing fuel and I think that you are correct. I can clearly see 2 wing tanks (no centre line), 4 x AIM9 and only 2 x AIM7.

Richard Jenner

IP Logged

Steve Poole

Reply #3 - 06.05.2011 at 21:27:36
Print Post  
Rob,many thanks for that.Were the Falklands flypasts as good as some of the ones we had at Saxa in 86/87?

IP Logged

Steve Poole

Reply #4 - 06.05.2011 at 21:30:28
Print Post  
Richard,
   Thanks for your assistance,the lack of a centreline tank would be to make way for the SUU-23 gun I believe.

Steve

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #5 - 07.05.2011 at 08:13:17
Print Post  
Steve,

Again I think you are right. The aspect on my pictures makes it hard to see but I think that the SUU 23 is fitted.

Richard

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #6 - 07.05.2011 at 15:07:41
Print Post  
Steve,

Just dug out a photograph of a F4 taken at Byron Heights in 1991. If you know Byron, you'll know why the underside of the aircraft is so clearly depicted, and close!

As Richard says, 2 wing tanks, 4 x AIM 9, 2 x AIM7 and nothing on the centreline station.

Mike

IP Logged

Steve Poole

Reply #7 - 09.05.2011 at 18:11:16
Print Post  
Mike,
  Many thanks for your input to my query.Unfortunately I never got to the Falklands however I did witness some impressive flypasts at Saxa after I left Maastricht.Hope you are well and have you any idea as to what happened to Jack Love,probably one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure to work with?

Steve

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #8 - 09.05.2011 at 20:03:18
Print Post  
Steve,

When you mentioned Jack Love, it all came flooding back!

First of all, I last heard from Jack and Jill love several years ago; they went to Australia to be with their son (?) and I have not had anything from them since.

As to Maastricht, dear boy, those were the days!  We had some fun and I don't suppose that we have either of us changed.   All I can say is that I didn't recognise your name until you mentioned Maastricht, and for that I most sincerely apologise.

I trust you are well and send you my best wishes as an old colleague.

Best wishes,

Mike

IP Logged

Steve Poole

Reply #9 - 09.05.2011 at 20:23:53
Print Post  
A bit less hair than I had then but then I am 50 this year !.Living on the Isle Of Wight for the last ten years,working as a Prison Officer for the last 16 years and married with a 19 year old daughter.

IP Logged

Rob McNab

Reply #10 - 11.05.2011 at 12:36:45
Print Post  
Steve,

Good to hear from you. Are you in contact with any others from the watch at that time?
As Mike said, 'flypasts' in the Falklands were generally carried out in much closer proximity than the ones that we had at Saxa... other than the Buccaneers that visited when we were on watch!

IP Logged

Steve Poole

Reply #11 - 14.05.2011 at 18:49:32
Print Post  
Rob,

I have managed to track down the following via Facebook: Baz Rathbone,Manzy,Gary Roger,Steve Flint,Steve Sellens,Martin Colclough,Tim Laybourn,Dave Roberts and Chris Ward who,alas, is reluctant to reply to any messages sent to him.
  Would like to know the whereabouts of John Coffey my old C Watch boss and the Wispa bar's greatest fan otherwise known as Mark Fixter - any ideas?Hope you are well.

Steve

IP Logged

Rob McNab

Reply #12 - 16.05.2011 at 13:09:30
Print Post  
Steve,

haven't heard from John since I left but went to mark Fixter's 40th birthday party a few years ago. At that time he was living near Norwich but not spoken to him for a couple of years.

IP Logged

Ian McGeachie

Reply #13 - 18.06.2011 at 07:20:58
Print Post  
Hi Steve, I also was at Maastricht during same period if you remember.  I have some photos of F4s over Mount Alice in 1986.  Agree with all the above when I look at them now.  One pic shows one coming in low slow everything hanging down (as if he was landing on the second heli pad!)  OC SL McLaughlin on the path in front of said jet ("Shall I run or duck?").

IP Logged

Steve Poole

Reply #14 - 23.06.2011 at 11:26:55
Print Post  
Hi Ian,
  Yes I remember you from Maastricht.Many thanks for your input.What are you doing these days and do you know the whereabouts of anyone else who was there with us?

IP Logged

Joe Marsden

Reply #15 - 23.06.2011 at 11:32:48
Print Post  
John Coffey is currently working for NAGSMA in Brussels. Smiley

IP Logged

Steve Poole

Reply #16 - 25.06.2011 at 16:45:08
Print Post  
Joe,

Thank you for that Joe.Found their website and managed to pick John out in the photo even after nearly 25 years!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint