This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A Little Note of Appreciation (Read 3,557 times)
Bernie O'Neill

A Little Note of Appreciation
10.05.2011 at 06:42:03
Print Post  
Call it fate if you like but there I was, Google-ing away, searching for some totally unrelated information for my job, and up popped this website. And what a hefty kick in the synapses and the few chunks of grey matter I have left this website has been.
It’s been over twenty years since I left the branch. So long ago, in fact, that I was beginning to think that I had imagined the whole experience; leaving me with a sixteen year hole in my life that I couldn’t explain, convincingly, to anybody. 
But no more! 
A trip around this website has refreshed my memory.  The names, events and chatter are so real and vivid it feels like it all happened yesterday. So much so, that I can feel the suppressed tension and excitement all over again.
Thank you for the Classified Personal Announcements section which, although it conveys such sad news, also gives me the opportunity to remember and celebrate the lives of some of the warmest and most colourful people it’s been my privilege to know. 
Importantly, this website and the “Sub Brit” website have given me a past – a past that was largely unrecorded at the time; providing pictures and the history of places and things I’d heard about but never seen, visited at some time or occasionally served at.
Both websites are, to me, the most phenomenal historical and personal resource.
The only downside is that it provides me with material for too many stories over too many beers. However, my audience, besides being deeply sceptical about the work, cannot comprehend why anyone would volunteer for such a dark and stressful existence.
And, I’m afraid, the stories are mostly met with lots of raised eyebrows, uncomfortable looks and a suggestion that more beer is required. We then move on to the next grossly exaggerated - but more believable - story from someone else. But it is difficult to describe how addictive adrenaline can be to people who have only done 9am to 5pm.
As I now live in Sydney, I think the likelihood that I will be anything more than a very distant observer and very occasional “guest” on this website is remote but keep up all the good work.

Bernie O’Neill Flt Lt (Rtd)

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Re: A Little Note of Appreciation
Reply #1 - 23.05.2011 at 07:30:38
Print Post  
Bernie,

It was good to hear from you and I'm sure the sentiments that you expressed are much appreciated by those who contribute to the web-site.

I'm not on the committee so this is not an official recruitment drive but you may like to consider whether £10 per annum membership is worthwhile to open up the members' area of the web-site which I think you would also enjoy - but I can't tell you what is on it!

Richard Jenner

PS - you would also qualify for a tie if you join!!?

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Re: A Little Note of Appreciation
Reply #2 - 23.05.2011 at 08:44:57
Print Post  
Richard Jenner wrote on 23.05.2011 at 07:30:38:
...this is not an official recruitment drive but you may like to consider...

Bernie will know that, 3 weeks ago, I responded by email to his message above and pointed out that membership for one in the Antipodes need not cost £10 pa (see the latter part of Rule 12) and that membership gave access not just to the Members' area of this Forum and the main website, but also to the opportunity to see the names of all other Members and get in touch, either by email or by a Forum-generated Personal Message!

I await the application form!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint