This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Where & When Again (Read 6,759 times)
Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Where & When Again
05.06.2011 at 20:45:04
Print Post  
Not Saxa this time! Two Ops Rooms possibly in the 50’s. Could be operational,training or temporary  – one of the Ops Rooms has windows! I have quite Hi Res copies but reducing for the website. Any help would be appreciated.
Pic 1I can make out 2 bits of writing which I have superimposed on the photo. Bottom left a table jack and the A4 sheet on the right  – whicn I think refers to the plaques in use on the table. Top left looks like a polar diagram for a radar.
Pic 2The map on the right of the bridge shows the coastline of East Anglia on the left and the continent on the right with what looks like nominal coverage for perhaps Glons & Nieuw Milligen. The bridge looks like it’s been erected from numbered modules.

Pic_1_-_FCA.jpg ( 682 KB | Downloads )
Pic_1_-_FCA.jpg
Pic_2_-_FCA.jpg ( 627 KB | Downloads )
Pic_2_-_FCA.jpg
IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Re: Where & When Again
Reply #1 - 06.06.2011 at 09:10:10
Print Post  
Gordon,

Interesting pictures. The polar diagram in the first picture hanging high-up on the wall may give some clues - is there any text visible? I think the map in the 2nd picture shows radar cover further east than Nieuw Milligen - Germany perhaps?

Richard

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #2 - 06.06.2011 at 11:25:07
Print Post  
Raw enlargement of the polar diagram from Pic 1. When I process it I imagine I get AN FPS 10 title at the top but that takes lots of guesswork. That was an early heightfinder but it seems an odd diagram for a "nodder". If anyone has better photographic software I'd be interested in the results!
Gordon

Pic_3_-_FCA.jpg ( 154 KB | Downloads )
Pic_3_-_FCA.jpg
IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #3 - 06.06.2011 at 14:48:45
Print Post  
Hi Gordon,

I can see the '10' too in the title - and SECRET to left (no surprises there then). The range (outer - larger cross-section?) looks like no more than 70 miles so this has to be an early piece of kit.

Richard

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #4 - 07.06.2011 at 08:26:15
Print Post  
Gordon,

On FCA1 the writing on the notice board says 'TPC Order Book'. The map to the right & below the clock is mainly of the low countries & Germany with London on the left hand edge.

What intrigues me are the plotting counters. There are clearly counters showing 'tracks' but the main counters seem to be long shapes raised at one end. I may be completetly off the plot here but could these be the radar carrying landing craft used on D-Day and the table some sort of filter system for these craft?

Richard

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #5 - 07.06.2011 at 08:42:59
Print Post  
Gordon,

Take a look at this link: http://www.combinedops.com/FDTs.htm

Near the bottom you can link to the individual FDT pages and one (http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/16/160013.htm) shows a plan of the ops room including a filter table.

Richard

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #6 - 07.06.2011 at 10:09:11
Print Post  
Looks similar and would account account for the lack of space and low ceiling - time to liaise with the dark blue I think.
Thanks Gordon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint