This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Madalena - Still Pumping Out Wigglies (Read 7,180 times)
Alec Trevett

Madalena - Still Pumping Out Wigglies
06.06.2011 at 11:40:44
Print Post  
Dear All

Just got back from a short family holiday in Malta (first time back there since detachments back in the early 70s with Plez, Wally Makepiece and Paul Barber). Went to visit the old RAF Madalena site and found it still in operational use by the Maltese Defence Forces (now referred to by its original Maltese name 'Madliena' - in use as a coastal radar station. Some pictures of the site as it is now are attached for the nostalgia buffs.

I must add that it was an absolute delight to visit the beautiful island of Malta again after all these years. Much busier - lots and lots of new developments and hotels (as you would expect now that the likes of EasyJet and Ryanair go there)...but.....the lovely Maltese people were just the same - friendly and welcoming. (their driving habits haven't changed much either.  Smiley). The old Bedford and British Leyland buses are now painted yellow and are still chugging round the island roads but are very shortly to be replaced by 'Arriva' new ones!

The area around 'Fort Madliena' has become the 'most desireable' location for luxury homes - lots of new-builds, electric gates and Merc SLKs. 

malta_066.jpg ( 453 KB | Downloads )
malta_066.jpg
malta_067.jpg ( 465 KB | Downloads )
malta_067.jpg
malta_068.jpg ( 442 KB | Downloads )
malta_068.jpg
malta_069.jpg ( 451 KB | Downloads )
malta_069.jpg
malta_075.jpg ( 437 KB | Downloads )
malta_075.jpg

IP Logged

Martin O'Carroll
Forum Member

Re: Madalena - Still Pumping Out Wigglies
Reply #1 - 26.06.2011 at 05:04:02
Print Post  
Glad to see the old place is still running! Must pay a visit there sometime and top up on Chisk or a bottle of Colleroe's (?) Wine if they still have it. Hope all is well with you, Alec. Best regards, Martin

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #2 - 26.06.2011 at 21:31:24
Print Post  
As I remember it Martin, it was Farmers' Wine Special Reserve, specially reserved for gullible RAF Officers. Made good paint stripper, though! Hope all is well.

Kind regards,

Mike

IP Logged

Francis-Xavier Zarb
Forum Member

Reply #3 - 01.08.2013 at 15:52:20
Print Post  
Hi Alec ,I read your message regarding your short detachment to fort madliena in the 70's, and I tried to place you but unfortunately I couldn't .I can remember Tony Plez as he was OPS. Officer in the1977 . Should you come to Malta again please contact me on tel.00356/21581701and drink local cisk lager . Till than all the best,frank .

IP Logged

Francis-Xavier Zarb
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 21.02.2014 at 20:57:12
Print Post  
This photo was taken a few days before madliena clksed down.
That is self with my son.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint