This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Saxa R101 - Shetland Radar (Read 17,115 times)
Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Saxa R101 - Shetland Radar
03.11.2011 at 23:31:05
Print Post  
Don't know if anyone can help. The pic was in the Shetland Times in 1979. It is supposed to be Shetland Radar in the R101. However, it's a "posed" photo. Initial research suggests:
Nearest is an ATC Controller possibly called Clive Bacon.
The girl in the middle is TG12 (no single airwomen at Saxa at this time so possibly married and living at SHE)
Furthest - Intercept Controller (maybe Al Bartlett)
Any help appreciated
Gordon

P1040524_-_Copy.JPG ( 466 KB | Downloads )
P1040524_-_Copy.JPG
IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Re: Saxa R101 - Shetland Radar
Reply #1 - 04.11.2011 at 03:10:42
Print Post  
Hi, closest guy almost certainly Clive Bacon.  Served with him at Boulmer/Border radar.  Shared the terrapin with him and another Sqn Ldr Crisp.  Known to Geordie Taylor and me as Crispy Bacon.  Objected to my cat leaving dead mice outside his room door.  "Killer" left mice for all occupants, only the live ones came to me.

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #2 - 04.11.2011 at 08:47:47
Print Post  
Hi Gordon

Yep, I was there at the time. Definitely "Crispy" Bacon and Al Bartlett. Don't recognise the Assistant but she appears to be Crispy's assistant and would not be, therefore, TG12. Were ATC Assistants TG9? Can't remember!

Best wishes

Mike

IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04.11.2011 at 10:21:12
Print Post  
Correct Mike Trade Group 9 for ATC assistants.

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 04.11.2011 at 10:26:58
Print Post  
Thanks, that's great. My info is that Shetrad were established in '78 with 4 controllers & 4 Assts - however, no females were there for a number of years. The only females at Saxa until the late 80s seem to have been officers or, very occasionally, a married, living out out airwoman. There again, my info has been found to be wrong before!
Cheers
Gordon

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #5 - 08.11.2011 at 17:26:45
Print Post  
Have just had a message (not with regard to this photo) from a WRAF Air Traffic Controller who was one of the founder members of Shetrad 1979 - 80. Total news to me (thought Sue Siver was the only WRAF Off there), but she is on Forces Reunited 1972 -83, leaving as a Flt Lt. Her name is Letitia Harding - currently living in Texas. I am trying to get in touch with her and also wondering if anyone remembers her at Saxa.
Gordon

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #6 - 08.11.2011 at 21:17:09
Print Post  
Sorry Gordon but that's news to me. The only WRAF officer at Saxa when I first arrived there was Sue Silver, joined later by Hazel Crouch, both of whom were FCs. I was there from Oct 79 to Oct 81 and I have never heard of this lady.

Mike

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #7 - 08.11.2011 at 21:44:48
Print Post  
In her message to me she said 79/80 but her Friends Reunited page she says 78/79 which makes sense. Shetrad opened in 78, not sure of the month but I think fairly early - with an 18 month tour she could have been leaving about the time you arrived. I have an open mind, but the little I know seems plausible. I have found the lady on the web and sent messages - currently teaching English in San Antonio, Texas. The Shetland Times in 79 shows a female in a posed picture who no one can put a name to yet. There was definitely one female there in 79 so the chase continues!
Cheers
Gordon

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #8 - 08.11.2011 at 22:46:34
Print Post  
I'm now totally convinced the ATC contact is genuine. I was out with the date of Shetrad opening (2 Oct 78) but note that personnnel were posted in from 3 to 18 months. At the same address in Texas lives a Richard Harding (from tax records) who has impressive medical qualifications- but late in the 70's was Acting SMO at Marham as an RAFMedical Officer. I don't know the date they got the same surname but I'm sure she was at Shetrad for some time.

GD151.jpg ( 57 KB | Downloads )
GD151.jpg
IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Reply #9 - 08.11.2011 at 23:00:32
Print Post  
The only member of Shetland Radar to start an 18-month tour in 1978 was the OC, a flt lt air trafficker named Bill ...... (I think); I believe he had a prosthetic leg and owned an old Bedford Dormobile (that looked remarkably similar to this one:

The other air traffickers were limited to 3 months so that there would be no need for re-qualification when returning to their units. There were no female members of Shetland Radar until about March/April 1979; I don't remember any names. Many of those temporarily at Shetland Radar came from either Midland (North Luffenham) or Eastern (Watton), the latter of which would tie in with Marham.

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #10 - 08.11.2011 at 23:29:23
Print Post  
Thanks for that - things are coming together. The last resting place of your dormobile (named Gertie) + a few faces attached. The OC was possibly Bill Cooper
Cheers
Gordon

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #11 - 09.11.2011 at 08:44:04
Print Post  
Correct Gordon, Bill Cooper was the man. Another of the Shetrad controllers at the time was a chap named Eugene O'Brian. How the memories return when jogged!

Mike

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #12 - 09.11.2011 at 10:46:32
Print Post  
Thanks - all info on Saxa filed away for possible future use
Cheers
Gordon

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #13 - 11.12.2011 at 11:09:47
Print Post  
I can confirm that the lady in the  photo is an Air Traffic Controller called Letitia Harding (ex Midland Radar, North Luffenham). She was one of 3 controllers sent to Saxa to start up Shetland Radar.
Gordon

IP Logged

Gordon Carle
Forum Member

Reply #14 - 01.07.2013 at 23:39:20
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint