This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 117 Signals Unit Hong Kong (Read 5,056 times)
Alan Shield
Forum Member

117 Signals Unit Hong Kong
18.11.2011 at 10:20:59
Print Post  
I am surprised that no one has mentioned this fabulous posting open to our branch/Trade.
I arrived at Kai Tak in early '71 after a 21 hour flight in a VC 10 of (shiney 10 Sqdrn.,) from Brize Norton travelling via Cyprus,  Bahrain,  Gan, and  Singapore.
The further East we travelled, the hotter it got and dressed in Cavalry twills and a tweed jacket having left in February you may imagine how I was feeling when we landed on the tiny island of Gan  (Maldive Islands) at a temp., of +34! Undecided
(That was at 0300hrs!)
The humidity was stiffling as we descended the steps onto a wet apron to visit the transit lounge where cooling drinks were served.  My thoughts were How hot was it going to be at Kai Tak!
What were your thoughts as you progressed on your journey?

KAI_TAK_AT_NIGHT001.jpg ( 80 KB | Downloads )
KAI_TAK_AT_NIGHT001.jpg

IP Logged

Alan Shield
Forum Member

Re: 117 Signals Unit Hong Kong
Reply #1 - 19.11.2011 at 14:06:01
Print Post  
Continuing an uneventful journey across the Indian Ocean heading for Sumatra and finally down the western coastline of Malasia we eventually descended into RAF Changi.
my memories of the transit lounge for passengers down at changi creek were of wonderful blossoms in the surrounding trees and the fragrance  (which was to me) simply Paradise.
Especially having endured a previous tour in the Middle East.
Now for the final leg of this long journey, this time flying North Easterly  fairly close to the coastline of Vietnam where the war was still raging 36000ft beneath us.
We seemed to reach Kai Tak in No time at all and then started the famous descent via the outer islands and over the coastline so as to continue the approach toward THE checker board where the aircraft made a sharpe 80 degree turn to the right for the short finals.
As the descent continued the buildings began to loom up perhaps too close for comfort and even the local buses appeared to be too near as the aircraft thundered over the  very busy main road and dropped down over the Runway!
Fairly hard braking brought us safely to a stop before the Harbour appeared at the opposite end.... Phew!
So this is Hong Kong.

_10_tsan_yung_Mansions001_1.jpg ( 98 KB | Downloads )
_10_tsan_yung_Mansions001_1.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint