This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Posted to Khormaksar (Read 13,208 times)
Alan Shield
Forum Member

Posted to Khormaksar
20.11.2011 at 09:19:15
Print Post  
As promised here are some pictures I took whilst posted in 1967 to 303 Signals Unit Khormaksar together with detatchments 'UP COUNTRY' to Makiros and Habilayn in the Radfan Mountains.

10-9-2008_110_2.jpg ( 23 KB | Downloads )
10-9-2008_110_2.jpg

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Re: Posted to Khormaksar
Reply #1 - 20.11.2011 at 10:09:54
Print Post  
Alan

You may add up to 3 attachments when posting on this Board. Click the little 'plus' symbol next to the word 'Attachments' to get the second and third options. If you go back into the post above and edit it, adding another attachment in place of the one already uploaded will delete that one and replace it with the second. Insert all the attachments at the one time.

Attachments_option.jpg ( 76 KB | Downloads )
Attachments_option.jpg
IP Logged

Alan Shield
Forum Member

Reply #2 - 20.11.2011 at 11:21:25
Print Post  
Memories Roll Eyes

habalayne.jpg ( 351 KB | Downloads )
habalayne.jpg
main_gate_khormaksa_2.jpg ( 28 KB | Downloads )
main_gate_khormaksa_2.jpg
makiras.jpg ( 341 KB | Downloads )
makiras.jpg

IP Logged

Alan Shield
Forum Member

Reply #3 - 20.11.2011 at 11:26:40
Print Post  
1967  One of the last Imperial outposts of the British Empire Undecided

Marla_strait_2.jpg ( 30 KB | Downloads )
Marla_strait_2.jpg
view_from_billet_Aden_1.jpg ( 27 KB | Downloads )
view_from_billet_Aden_1.jpg
view_from_guard_post_1.jpg ( 23 KB | Downloads )
view_from_guard_post_1.jpg

IP Logged

Alan Shield
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 20.11.2011 at 19:49:41
Print Post  
So, What was the daily task at Khormaksar.
The radars in use were the TPS 34,  Type 13 and a UPS 1.
Hours of work were generally 0800 until 1700 split into two shifts morning and afternoon. 7 days per week.
So far so good you may say, plenty of time for the sun sea and occasional Beer you may say  Agh...... Not quite!
We were all on an active service roll which meant the occasional Hand grenade was lobbed in and around the area and the odd Arab Sniper would appear to ruin the whole day.
I Remember during one period the Federal Republican Army based less than half a mile from the radar site Mutineed! much to the annoyance of the British Officers who were attempting to complete a training  programme at the time. Bullets were flying in most directions and we were all told to  get behind any buildings or underneath parked vehicles. Flt Lt Tom Penny rang the canteen for a cup of tea to be sent up to the OPs Porta-cabin Undecided  I'm not sure if he was asked if he wanted sugar!!
Every other day we were required to support the RAF Regiment in guarding the many posts which surrounded the Airfield and outer areas so together with a .303 Lee Enfield Rifle and five rounds of Ammunition to be kept in the top shirt pocket along with your certificate to kill if required we  manned to trenches and the posts for a 24 hour  sentry.
Officers of course were required as Guard commanders to visit these posts to ensure all was well!
The picture of the Hunter T7 was taken from such a guard post.
I'll pause at this point as I hope it may stir memories from others who enjoyed this Middle Eastern Adventure.

responce_to_attack_1.jpg ( 22 KB | Downloads )
responce_to_attack_1.jpg
attack_on_airfield_2.jpg ( 23 KB | Downloads )
attack_on_airfield_2.jpg
rest_tents_303_signals_1.jpg ( 25 KB | Downloads )
rest_tents_303_signals_1.jpg

IP Logged

Alan Shield
Forum Member

Reply #5 - 22.11.2011 at 18:11:49
Print Post  
The story behind the picture.
Attack on the Airfield:- 1100 hrs and I was manning a Guard post with just a field telephone for company. This particular post was outside the main airfield perimeter and located at the entrance to the Commisioned Officers married Quarters area.
During the early Sixties, RAF Khormaksar was one of the biggest and busiest Airfields  the British owned and consequently, the Married Quarters sites were more like Estates.
The main Road to HQ MEAF at Steamer Point ran alongside my post and the traffic was fairly busy most of the day. Enough then to keep me alert especially as Arab Civilians were  constantly walking to and fro close enough to 'lob' anything if they got the chance.
All of a sudden there was the sound of a huge explosion!
from the direction of the far side of the Airfield. I nearly always carried my camera and when the smoke began I took the picture. The Telephone rang which caught me by surprise and I was asked if all was alright in my location I  replied "all quiet"  and then screaming down the road and heading for the 'Smoke' came Two  Armoured Cars and a truck load of Soldiers. After which the main Road became strangely quiet..
The Northumberland Fusiliers were in Residence at the time and they had closed the Main Road at the 'Crater' roundabout. No Movement was allowed in or out from  Khormaksar.
The result of this successful attack was one completely destroyed DC 3 belonging to Aden Airways which was parked out on the 'Pans'.
As Far as I Know, No one was brought to account.
Just another day in this outpost in the Southern Arabian Penninsular. Cool

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Reply #6 - 22.11.2011 at 22:26:16
Print Post  
Alan

Please do not use characters other than alphanumeric, the underline and '-' when naming files that you upload; the '+' character breaks the system! I have changed the name of each of the last 3 of your attachments so that the error does not occur.

IP Logged

Alan Shield
Forum Member

Reply #7 - 23.11.2011 at 08:04:36
Print Post  
f/L 1500 over the Crater district of Aden and onward to Djoubuti plus the Army air corps 'Scout' Helicopter and there lies yet another story

shackelton_over_Africa_1.jpg ( 23 KB | Downloads )
shackelton_over_Africa_1.jpg
aden-main.gif ( 101 KB | Downloads )
aden-main.gif
heli_port.jpg ( 351 KB | Downloads )
heli_port.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint