This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Air Commodore Al Knox (Read 12,177 times)
Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Air Commodore Al Knox
27.11.2012 at 15:15:08
Print Post  
It was with deep sadness that I read today that Alistair Knox had passed peacefully away on Friday, 23 November 2012 - aged 73. The announcement, in the Telegraph, is here.

All enquiries to F J Luxton & Son, Funeral Directors, Ottery St Mary, Devon EX11 1BE. Tel: 01404 812646.

IP Logged

John Stocker

Re: Air Commodore Al Knox
Reply #1 - 27.11.2012 at 17:47:58
Print Post  
It is with much sadness that I read of the demise of Al Knox. I know that he has suffered severely over a number years. My recollections of Al's service span many years, as a programmer on early ADP systems, in Singapore, the Air Defence Component at SHAPE, Station Commander at West Drayton and in a number of guises in MOD. One remembers his enthusiasm for whatever he did and the personal friendships he made.  Yvonne's and my thoughts are with Eve and son David at this unhappy time. John Stocker

IP Logged

George Keith

Reply #2 - 28.11.2012 at 10:56:47
Print Post  
I was very sad to read the news about Al Knox. He was a good man who did much to put the Branch on the map. He and I, together with Jim Fox, were on the same OCTU course in 1966, so I had known him longer than any other Fighter Controller. RIP.

IP Logged

Mike Good

Reply #3 - 28.11.2012 at 18:50:53
Print Post  
Sad news indeed.  Al Knox taught me how to survive MOD Main Building during my first tour up there in the rarefied atmosphere of Whitehall.  He did far, far more than just survive himself.  Along with the likes of Peter Chislett, John Stocker and Mike Boddy, to name but a few, he clearly demonstrated to the Winged Master Race, who historically dominated those echelons-above-reality, that Fighter Controllers were a whole lot more than their stereotype of a strange and remote sub-tribe inhabiting subterranean lairs down the east coast.  We haven’t looked back since.

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #4 - 28.11.2012 at 20:21:00
Print Post  
I cannot better the remarks of the previous posters. Al was an inspiration and did more for the Branch, in my opinion, than anyone else of that generation. A very sad loss indeed. RIP Al.

Mike

IP Logged

Stuart McCullouch

Reply #5 - 30.11.2012 at 14:30:08
Print Post  
Al was always ready to listen - although he would want the right of reply as well! While he took his work very seriously, he was also quick to see the humour in life and so it was always a pleasure to be in his company.

It was a great shame that he drew a short straw in terms of chronic illness and an early demise but he is clearly remembered with fondness.

Stu

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Reply #6 - 01.12.2012 at 07:58:38
Print Post  
John Stocker has passed to me the following:

Quote:
Further updates on the arrangements:

Family flowers only.

Donations to Parkinsons UK - either via F L Luxton, Funeral Directors ( 21 Tip Hill, Ottery-St Mary, Devon EX11 1BE), or in donation box at funeral.

IP Logged

Martin Blunkell
Forum Member

Reply #7 - 24.12.2012 at 12:59:11
Print Post  
This Engineer would like to join his former Fighter Controller colleagues in remembering Al Knox. I worked for him in the smallest office in MOD Main Building when he was OR39 and we were focussing on driving the IUKADGE project and the ASRs for the 3-D radar that turned out to be the Types 92 and 93. Al ran a tight ship with determination and style but was a very fair and a pleasure to work with. He was the right man for the job at that time for dealing with the MOD PE was a source of constant frustration. I am so sad that he was not rewarded with the retirement that he deserved.   Martin Blunkell

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint