This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A little puzzle for you all (Read 8,152 times)
Pete Smith

A little puzzle for you all
23.09.2013 at 13:55:29
Print Post  
What connection does Howard W Coxon and fighter control have in common? No prizes for the right answer, just the smugness of being first to get it.

I'll give it a while before publishing what I have found on the above gentleman.

IP Logged

Pete Smith

Re: A little puzzle for you all
Reply #1 - 23.09.2013 at 21:16:06
Print Post  
His boss, Wg Cdr J L Brown, was killed in action on 18 Sep 44.

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #2 - 24.09.2013 at 08:22:40
Print Post  
6080 LWU (Radar)?

IP Logged

Pete Smith

Reply #3 - 24.09.2013 at 09:42:14
Print Post  
Correct.  That should let the Google flood gates open.  Before I share all - a bonus point is in the offering for what happened to him after the war.

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #4 - 24.09.2013 at 10:00:59
Print Post  
Hi Pete,

I think I know the answer to that one too having read his obituary but let's see who else is interested.

Richard

IP Logged

Pete Smith

Reply #5 - 25.09.2013 at 20:31:17
Print Post  
Solution Pt One.

Meet Sqn Ldr Coxon at this link:
www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/Photos2/Pic_Correspondents1.htm
Just copy into your web browser.

IP Logged

Pete Smith

Reply #6 - 26.09.2013 at 20:30:07
Print Post  
Solution Pt 2

Sqn Ldr Coxon was OC 6080 Light Warning Unit, one of 2 such units deployed on Op MARKET GARDEN equipped with AMES 6 radars.  Each unit was capable of being lifted by 2 Horsa gliders and the aim was for the units to coordinate fighter cover over our troops from the landing grounds. 
Further details can be found here:

www.raf38group.org/lwus

Sqn Ldr Coxon survived the war. More details in part 3

IP Logged

Pete Smith

Reply #7 - 28.09.2013 at 14:38:29
Print Post  
Solution Pt 3

Having looked through the London Gazette for the period, I can find only one Howard W Coxon. He resigned his commission on 18 Aug 1949 retaining the rank of Sqn Ldr.  I suspect the obituary below is our man:

Howard Coxon
September 28, 1915 - July 8, 2007

Coxon, Howard Woodrow - Howard died peacefully in his sleep at the family farm, in his 92nd year, on Sunday, July 8th, 2007. Pre-deceased by his wife Paula, loving father to Marcus, Brian, Graeme and Carol. Father-in-law to Jonna and Bruce and grandfather to Sara-Katherine, Hanna, Sam, William and Nicholas. Loving brother to Jean Richmond-Watson and brother-in-law to Margot and Roberto Gualtieri and uncle to Eric, Inger and Domenic. Loving partner to Helga Goddard. Howard was very connected to his roots in Mexico, where he was born, in Tampico, in 1915. Returning with his parents to England, Howard went on to receive an M.A. in History from Cambridge. Howard left the UK after WWII, having served in the RAF as Squadron Leader, and with a spirit of adventure, arrived in Ottawa, where he married Paula Peters in 1950. Finding Canada exciting and full of promise, Howard began his career with Imperial Oil Ltd. in Toronto, and subsequently moved to B.C., where he encountered some of the greatest challenges of his career. Howard moved back to Toronto, and then to New York City in 1967, where he worked as Deputy Vice President of Marketing, Exxon Corporation, until his retirement in 1975. In 1979, Howard and Paula settled in Northumberland County, Ontario, on the farm chosen by Paula to be the family gathering point and base for their many travels in retirement. A man of great integrity, his wisdom, constancy, patience, and commitment will be greatly missed by all of us who knew and loved him. A remembrance gathering for Howard was held at the farm on July 12th.

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #8 - 28.09.2013 at 17:05:01
Print Post  
That's the obituary I found, too. I agree; he's our man.

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint