This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Roy Bullers (Read 15,472 times)
Kevin Pellatt

Roy Bullers
26.01.2014 at 14:20:07
Print Post  
It is with great sadness that I must inform you that I  have just learned that Roy Bullers passed away in hospital last week.  He was only talking to the Museum Manager a week ago and while Roy has not been a well man for some time, this has come as a shock.  I will post further details of funeral arrangements as and when I know them.  A loyal member of the Branch and FCA, and a staunch supporter of the RAF ADRM.  RIP Roy - we all have such very fond memories of you.

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Re: Roy Bullers
Reply #1 - 26.01.2014 at 15:18:48
Print Post  
How very, very sad. Roy was a very kind and gentle person who will never be forgotten. RIP Roy

IP Logged

Stuart McCullouch

Reply #2 - 26.01.2014 at 15:34:05
Print Post  
Roy was a loyal servant of the RAF and his country and a pillar of the Fighter Control Association.  RIP.

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Reply #3 - 26.01.2014 at 15:39:00
Print Post  
The world will be a sadder place without Roy, but his memory will live on in the rest of us. RIP

IP Logged

Andy Wilkins

Reply #4 - 26.01.2014 at 17:39:45
Print Post  
I am very sad this evening. I remember Roy as Sqn Ldr Ops when I first went to Neatishead in about 1985. "Mr Pastry" as us irreverent JOs used to call him; we used to wonder what value-added he gave. It was only when I "grew up" (some of you may say that I haven't even now) I started to understand the difference between value and cost and the importance of Roy's contribution. I got to know him (and the lovely Shiela) better when I took over as the OIC Museum from Fitzmaurice - a difficult time for all concerned, but I could always rely on Roy to take me aside and quietly explain the political machinations that were going on and recommend a course of action. The important part of that sentence is "take me aside and quietly". Roy was never a man to step willingly into the limelight and I know that over a period of time accolades that should have gone to him for the Museum were often misdirected to another person. I have exceptionally happy memories of afternoons spent with a few other couples at the Bullers' house in Salhouse; playing croquet and having tea on the lawn. A quintessentially English past time hosted by a quintessentially English gentleman. Roy's passing will leave the World a poorer place. In lieu of attending the funeral, I will tonight toast his memory with an entire bottle of rather decent Chateau Peyrouley. Per Adrua Roy; Requiescat in pace. Damn, it's dusty in here tonight. Wilks

IP Logged

Mike Greatorex

Reply #5 - 26.01.2014 at 17:44:16
Print Post  
Well said, Jan.

I remember Roy with great respect and affection; he was a true gentleman with a warm sense of humour. 

It would it be fitting for the ADRM to display some kind of 'in memoriam' tribute to Roy but, most likely, the team there already has this in mind. I do hope so.

RIP, Roy.

Mike   

IP Logged

Peter Green

Reply #6 - 26.01.2014 at 19:56:26
Print Post  
Very sad news indeed. A gentleman boss and a lasting memory of my tour at Neat in the 80s. Stick his name on the tote at the ADRM.

Peter

IP Logged

Richard Jenner

Reply #7 - 27.01.2014 at 13:40:32
Print Post  
Roy was one of the branch's legends - they simply don't make them like that anymore. He's left quite a legacy with his articles for the ADRM and all the work he did in the archive. It's sad to think he won't be at this year's AGM but I'm sure we will all take some moments to recall him to mind.

Richard

IP Logged

Chris Morshead
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 27.01.2014 at 17:16:24
Print Post  
Thank you to all who have commented here.  Please find the following from Roy's family.
    "We would like to thank everyone for their kind words. It is so comforting to hear such lovely words of respect for our Dad. We would like to invite anyone that would like to attend his funeral and will post details as soon as we know. Thank you

Sarah and Mark"

There is a further thread running at the Museum Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/RAF-Air-Defence-Radar-Museum/157795494271602?ref=....

Rgds, Chris

IP Logged

Mike Good

Reply #9 - 28.01.2014 at 20:27:06
Print Post  
How very sad to hear of Roy’s passing.  I first met him in 1969 at Western Hill, Penang, where “Bwana” Bullers was one of the Chief Controllers – and possessor of the most frightening set of knees ever to emerge from a pair of Her Majesty’s KD shorts!  He looked after me professionally, and he and the lovely Sheila looked after me socially, for which a young, very green Pilot Officer was immensely grateful.  I shall ever smile at the memory of Happy Hours at The Runnymede Hostel and the foam from pints of Tiger beer that used to hang on tenaciously across the entire expanse of that luxuriant moustache.  RIP Roy

IP Logged

Alec Trevett

Reply #10 - 28.01.2014 at 22:06:58
Print Post  
So very sorry to hear of Roy's passing. So very nice to see the warm tributes here, quite rightly for such a lovely man (well done Andy particularly). Roy was such a unique and admirable man. When he was SLOPS at Neatishead he had some lovely turns of phrase - he proudly announced one morning that he was 'off for a spot of annual musketry'  (range firing). One of my fondest memories of Roy in much happier times was late during a dining in night. Roy departed to wend his way home on his bright red motorcycle...only to reappear twenty minutes later in his 'Helly Hanson' yellow waterproofs with a variety of twigs and leaves adorning his magnificent 'tache' (he had been through a hedge and come back for further fortification).
I consider it such a privilege to have known and worked with one of the Branches most wonderful characters. Professionally adept, a superb representative of the Royal Air Force, a very much liked and respected colleague to all  - Rest In Peace Roy.

IP Logged

Gerry Newton
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 29.01.2014 at 20:52:48
Print Post  
Farewell old colleague and friend. It was a privilege and pleasure to have known and served with one of the "old school". Rest in peace.
Gerry Newton

IP Logged

Kevin Pellatt

Reply #12 - 31.01.2014 at 16:49:18
Print Post  
I am now able to tell you that Roy's funeral will be at Salhouse Church, Norfolk at 1500 on Tuesday 11th February.  There will be a good turn out from the ADRM and local RAFA I we hope that some FCA members will be able to join the family on the day.

IP Logged

Stuart McCullouch

Reply #13 - 13.02.2014 at 13:03:34
Print Post  
Roy's family has invited donations to RAF BF and Wings Appeal in memory of him.  If anyone who wants to send a message associated with their donation to the family and doesn't have contact information please email me at chair@raffca.org.uk and I shall give them an email address.

Stu

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint