This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Farewell TriStars (Read 4,415 times)
Pete Scott
Ex Member

Farewell TriStars
15.06.2014 at 14:35:40
Print Post  
I expect we've all been involved with the TriStar at some point, and now they've been withdrawn what happens to them?  Here's a link to a time-lapse video of one being dismantled at Marshall (Cambridge), if you have the stomach to watch it that is!

IP Logged

Tony Pleasant
Ex Member

Re: Farewell TriStars
Reply #1 - 19.06.2014 at 07:11:32
Print Post  
How sad, like a victim being consumed by a Praying Mantis.

IP Logged

Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Re: Farewell TriStars
Reply #2 - 19.06.2014 at 10:18:31
Print Post  
A sad sight indeed but possibly not the final word. A couple of weeks ago we had six Tristars at Bruntingthorpe purchased by a commercial company housed at the far end of the airfield. This means they are not accessible to the visitors to the Cold War Jets Museum but easily photographable from our pan which houses the Comet and the Nimrod. We towed one Tristar on to our other pan, of three, for our Open Day last month. I have attached a photo. You can see our VC10 Tanker in the background. The local 'jungle drums' have it that the six will shortly be off to the USA via Shannon. There they will be converted to water bombers to fight forest fires. I don't know if this is correct. I am duty guide this Sunday so will be able to investigate further.

Of the big jets, in addition to the VC10, we have the Comet, the Nimrod and a Victor Tanker, all of which do high speed runs down the runway on
Open Days etc. The co-located Lightning Preservation Group will be doing a QRA(I) Scramble re-enactment on Sunday 27 July with two F6s from the ex-Wattisham Q Shed. There will be a full commentary on the PA System with UHF patched in. Details are on www.lightnings.org.uk

Dave Lowry

Tristar_at_Bruntingthorpe.jpg ( 312 KB | Downloads )
Tristar_at_Bruntingthorpe.jpg
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint