This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Maria Hart (Read 3,151 times)
Tim Willbond
Committee
President

President (and Heritage/Veterans
Member)

Maria Hart
09.12.2014 at 13:34:47
Print Post  
I am sad to report the news that Maria Hart died peacefully in her sleep on the 8th December.  She was 98 years old

Maria was an honorary member and one of the diminishing band of our Battle of Britain veterans.  She attended the Royal opening Bentley Priory but this was to be her last appearance at a formal event.  She can be seen in the photographs at the front of the site and she is the one in a wheelchair.

Maria, was one of two NCOs that led the first contingent of WAAF personnel to man and operate the new Filter centre at Bentley Priory in 1939.  However, by 1940 she had been posted to radar duties and was an operator at West Bromley during the Battle of Britain.  West Bromley was on the front line of the battle and also was heavily engaged during the Blitz.

Maria went on to become a Flight Officer and was later in the war posted to 75 Wing where she had responsibility for the operational effectiveness of the Northern part of the radar chain.  Maria donated some items to the association which are now lodged with the ADRM.

Tim Willbond
Heritage Member

IP Logged

Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Re: Maria Hart
Reply #1 - 09.12.2014 at 15:33:24
Print Post  
I'm very sad to hear this news. Together with my friend Judith, I had the pleasure of interviewing Maria for the Briefing Note we now have as part of our Heritage initiative at the Bentley Priory Battle of Britain Museum. Her experiences during the formative years of our Branch are now on record for future generations.

Maria was a gracious lady who made us most welcome and willing gave her time for us to discuss her many experiences. She had had a very full and eventful life both in the WRAF as one of our founder members and later as a civilian.

She was very much part of our history.

Dave Lowry

IP Logged

Stuart McCullouch

Re: Maria Hart
Reply #2 - 09.12.2014 at 18:30:12
Print Post  
The Association was fortunate to have Maria as an Honorary Member, sadly for all too short a period.  Her valuable service to the country is to be saluted.

Stuart McCullouch
Chairman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint