This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Death of Gerry Newton (Read 5,795 times)
Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Death of Gerry Newton
23.03.2015 at 15:49:24
Print Post  
I heard the very sad news from Nick Gadd this morning that Gerry Newton had died, yesterday, Sunday 22 March 2015. Naturally, we have no details of arrangements etc., as yet, but will promulgate them as soon as they are available.

Dave Lowry

IP Logged

Stuart McCullouch

Re: Death of Gerry Newton
Reply #1 - 23.03.2015 at 16:51:34
Print Post  
Judy and I are sorry to hear this.  Gerry (and Jo) did much for us, particularly at Buchan when our children were very young and it took us some time to reacclimatise after arriving back from Germany.  Gerry had an approach that included no nonsense and a lot of common sense which instilled great confidence and affection.  His passing is a sad loss to the Association.

Stu

IP Logged

Dave Todd

Reply #2 - 23.03.2015 at 17:17:00
Print Post  
I first met Gerry in 1974 at Auenhausen when he had just been promoted Sqn Ldr and was on his way to Ramstein.  He was my squadron boss at Boulmer in the late 70s on my return from Germany when I learned a great deal from him following 3 years effectively out of the mainstream; I will always be grateful for this.  Over the years, Gwyneth and I became good friends with both Jo and Gerry, he will be sadly missed.

IP Logged

Mike Clarke

Reply #3 - 23.03.2015 at 22:08:07
Print Post  
I first met Gerry at Boulmer in 1976 and our paths crossed many times subsequently. He was a man for whom I had a great deal of affection and respect.

I last saw him at the RAF Museum, Cosford last year when he gave me one of his famous guided tours of the museum. His knowledge was encyclopaedic and his enthusiasm, unbounded; he was in fine form and it was a most enjoyable day.

He will be greatly missed.

Mike

IP Logged

Nick Gadd

Reply #4 - 24.03.2015 at 17:18:08
Print Post  
With great sadness I received a call from Richard Newton on Sunday evening telling me that his father had died.
Gerry has been a great friend over many years.We will miss his dry sense of humour and steadfast convictions. We will remember him with fondness.    

Nick & Gill

IP Logged

Jan Cobb
Committee

Hon. Secretary & Web Manager

Reply #5 - 27.03.2015 at 11:27:28
Print Post  
The following was in The Telegraph, a couple of days ago:
    NEWTON

Gerald Stanislaus, Wing Commander Royal Air Force (retired), died peacefully on 22 March 2015, aged 83. Loving husband of Jo (deceased), much loved father of Catherine, Louise and Richard, grandfather and great-grandfather. Funeral mass on 31 March 3pm, St Mary's RC Church, Madeley, Telford, followed by memorial service Telford Crematorium. Family flowers only. A remarkable man who will be greatly missed by family, friends and community.

Grumpy Gerry may have appeared, but he had a heart of gold and will be sorely missed; sad news indeed.

IP Logged

Dave Lowry
Committee

Museums Member

Reply #6 - 02.04.2015 at 07:49:12
Print Post  
I've received the following message from Gerry Dinmore who attended the funeral as our FCA Representative:

The funeral was well attended on Tuesday. The services were excellent and the eulogies heartfelt, in places, where appropriate amusing and from a variety of friends and relatives. The family were touched and grateful for condolences and sympathy expressed by the members of the association.

IP Logged

Sue Cobb
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05.04.2015 at 17:47:05
Print Post  
I was saddened to hear the news of Gerry Newton's passing.
I will treasure the memories of both Jo and Gerry and remember their friendship,help and support as neighbours at Boddam.
Gerry's dry sense of humour spurred me on to pass my ' driving test' 30 years ago!!!
A wonderful couple.xxxx

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint