This Forum uses cookies only to improve the browsing experience. By viewing our content, you accept the use of those cookies.
To find out more and change your cookie settings, please view our cookie policy.

Close
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Death of Wg Cdr Nick Gadd RAF (Retd) (Read 878 times)
Grant Grafton

Death of Wg Cdr Nick Gadd RAF (Retd)
11.07.2022 at 16:20:36
Print Post  
I was saddened to hear of Nick's passing from Jan.

I’ve known Nick since Apr 1969.   At that time, Nick, Kelvin Holmes and I were all in the Systems Training section of RAF Patrington, going through our conversion to operational standard.  My memories of Nick were of someone with a great dry wit and fabulous sense of humour.  Older than most on joining the RAF – Nick liked to remind us that (at the time) he was “the oldest Pilot Officer in the RAF”.   Not something that impressed one of our instructors, the legend that was Lofty Wetherell.  The regular verbal ‘jousting’ between Nick and Lofty was usually most amusing – certainly for the 2 of us out of the line of fire.  After qualification, we 3 settled down into our respective squadrons.  Approximately a year later Nick, Gill and family were posted to No. 117SU, located on Tai Mo Shan mountain in the New Territories of Hong Kong.  To my surprise and delight I too was posted to 117SU, some six-months later. Nick was very pleased to see me.  The reason? We were both still Pilot Officers, but I was slightly junior to him.  This meant I could take over as Mr Vice at dining-in nights – a more or less permanent role for him up until my arrival.  After we both returned from Hong Kong, our career paths never crossed again, but evidence of his character wasn’t hard to find.  We will miss you Nick.

My thoughts and condolences go out to Gill, his children and grandchildren

IP Logged

Angie Johnson
Committee

ADRM Liaison

Re: Death of Wg Cdr Nick Gadd RAF (Retd)
Reply #1 - 22.07.2022 at 10:52:45
Print Post  
Very sad to hear this. i used to babysit for Nick and Gill when at Boulmer, Was devastated to hear of the loss of Julia in an accident (moped i think) so my thoughts especially with the family. Nick reunited with his daughter is the only blessing i see. Excellent flight commander. RIP Nick.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint